Help what should I do??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, new to this, so unsure if this is the correct place to post, so forgive me if its not.

4 weeks ago I awoke with cramp in my leg then the next few night alternative legs, I went to the doctors and was told it was just an age thing , anyway the next day I tore my calf muscle two weeks on and I was ok and walking again, about two days after this I had a blood clot in my leg not dvt but superficial, it's left a red blood mark about the size of a tennis ball and a brown mark about twice that size, anyway more to the point behind my knees hurt (both) and my legs ache like anything it's like tooth ache in the back of knee, should I be concerned?? Baring in mind my g.p. Said it was superficial?? He didn't do any tests and I didn't mention about my knees .???

Stressed out now and not sleeping due to pain and stress about it

Ps age 45 and do a physical job if that helps

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rabc,  I was a few years younger than you when I had my first DVT, and it was a clot behind the knee.  Whilst your symptoms sound worrying, it seems odd that they appear to affect both legs in turn.  Check for swelling using a tape measure - is one calf larger than the other?  Is it warmer to the touch?  Apart from the bruising you describe, is the skin darker, perhaps shiny?  My leg was swollen and very painful, and it was almost impossible to bend the knee joint.

You would be very unlucky to have clots in both legs.  It seems your GP acknowledges the "superficial" clot, and I think you should see him again and ask for an ultrasound scan of the leg.  This is a simple procedure which your surgery may be equipped to do, although it may involve an outpatient hospital visit.  It will show up any deep vein clot right away.  

Hopefully it will be negative, but at least it would put your mind at rest, and once that is ruled out, either your GP or the hospital should be able to investigate any other possible cause.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

• Posted

Thanks it seems to be a number of things 1. The tear grade 2 in the calf , the superficial clot, and I'm thinking varicus veins pain as I have quite prominent veins. And my circulation in both legs is bad tingling toes etc , my left leg is quite shiny , but not swollen apart from around the clot in my knee (I was unable to bend it , it was that swollen, think I will make another appointment as the doctor was quite matter of fact about it all. Thanks for help

• Posted

I visited A&E two weeks before I was hospitalised with a massive clot from the back of my knee, through the groin and across the abdomen. I was told I had a superficial clot that was not a problem.

• Posted

Hi, doctor was quite dismissive really with me , I thought he would have at least checked as the swelling and large collection of blood is at the side of my knee. Think I will make another appointment for sure.
    • Posted

I also have a pain in my chest now but I'm unsure if I'm making that up or not if that makes sense, as so worried . Appointment tomorrow eve so we will see what happens .

• Posted

Pain in the chest is quite commonly caused by anxiety, if you are "over breathing" then you overwork the muscles. 

• Posted

Hi welcome to the forum! I'm not an expert but it is really very easy to check if you have had a deep clot using a blood test called a D Dimer. Your GP will not mind you going back as the problem is obviously causing you pain and stress and there is a perhaps a small possibility that you have got a DVT and that if untreated can cause further problems. If you were immobile whilst your calf muscle was healing this could have increased your risk of getting a DVT so although it may not, it is definately worth going back.

Hope this helps

Karin 

• Posted

Rabc, Have you been back to the doctor? Are you feeling better?
    • Posted

Hi, sorry it's been so long I did go back to the doctor, it was the same doctor, and he would not check,so I worried myself sick for a while as I had pain and tenderness for a while. It's still there but not as bad as it was , He did however refer me for my varicus veins although I didn't know this until I received a call from that dept to offer myself an appointment , my guess is that's where he thinks the pain and tingling is from. Would have been nice if he would have explaind that. But my guess is that was benieth him , to explain himself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.