Being depressed and having 47 xxy

Posted , 2 users are following.

It will always be a challenge when you are a 47 xxy male. Depression sets in When you first discover you have this disorder. There is no way you can handle it by yourself. If therapy is needed try it. I went through depression but I never went to therapy. I had the common sense to take a psychology course in college which helped me deal with my depression. But sometimes, it hits me like a ton of bricks. But knowing it that I cannot change my chromosome pattern, so I have to deal with it. Sometimes prayer helps but watch a movie. Just think about a boy who is different, a strange boy. Who has no family and sleeps under the stairs. He has no friends and no family. How does he cope. I think about that boy and wonder ,am I like him. I am different.

I met some xxy's and they think of themselves as x-men, mutants, of course. In a fun way. That is how they deal with having xxy. Some of them had xyy. They were in their 20's, but my other xyy, so they no longer felt they were the only ones in the universe. Just think if you were unaware that there were no other xxy's near you or in this world. That is what I thought, until I put an ad in some magazines, and

discovered I wasn't the only xxy gay male in the US. There are organizations, in the UK, in the US and in NZ. They are online. They are there to help. Contact them. Maybe you won't be depressed, if you know you are not alone in the world being an xxy male.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

If one was an XXY teenager... oh I was once....  cheesygrin   and you discover your balls are supposed to be much bigger than they are, I can imagine you wanting to have the problem recitified (as that's what I did).   I can imagine being depressed before being diagnosed owing to all manner of difficulties that life throws my way.... as that's what happened.  But if a person is not severely affected, has no emotional, or psychiatric, or learning problems, just discovers by some means or other, (probably fertility testing),  that they're XXY, why that knowledge should lead to psychiatric illness Depression?

Other than doctors not bothering to do their jobs properly, the #1 reason ALL XXY's are not found, in theory we all  lead pretty much normal lives, is it normal to develop Depression and how is it diagnosed anyway?   Maybe all males in Depression clinincs  who aren'ty in relationships, and have no evidence they've fathered a child, could be genetically tested, if Depression is a sign of XXY?  

rolleyes

• Posted

In one of the seminars at the US xxy convention, years ago, the study stated that if a male was depressed, it could be that he had a low testosterone levels. Once on testosterone, about half of the men, no longer had any depression episodes. The study didn't say if these boys or men had xxy, but 5 per cent did have 47 xxy. Only a doctor can detect low testosterone levels. My fsh and lh were normal, but I was still diagnosed as having 47 chromosomes. Now that is unusual.

• Posted

The relationship between Depression and testosterone is not clear.  My currect regime Androderm does not list Depression as a side effect of taking testosterone, but RxList (the Internet drug index)  does say taking Depot-Testosterone injection has Depression as a side effect.  

I used to take Depot-Testosterone injection.

All forms of testosterone, that I have trialed, make me happy.  Having low testosterone does not make me happy.  

• Posted

The only thing I read about testosterone is that it can thickens your blood, so you should have a blood test to check your hemocrit. If the hematocrit too high it can cause heart problems. Years ago, the doctor put me on 300 MG of depo-testosterone and my blood became so thick, I had to had some of my blood taken out because it was so thick; otherwise, I would have had a heart attack. Then I was put on 250 mg, the same thing happened. So I was then put on 200 mg every 3 weeks, which my hematocrit is between 45-47. Since I live near the mountains, this causes hematocrit to rise.Since you live at sea level, depo-testosterone should not effect you, like it does me. You are right I tend to get a lititle depressed without the hormone. I went one month without it and life was not good. Thats why some men that are depressed should check if they have adequate testosterone in their system. There was a study in the US that showed men who were depressed had low testosterone levels,some improved with depo-testosterone, some did not. Those that did not improve were put on medications. Those who did improve, stop taking anti anxiety medications.

• Posted

I just take aspirin to thin my blood.Another so-called 'side effect' is too many or too frequent erections, that's not a siude effect to me, that's a 'desired effect.'   cheesygrin

I have detailed conversations with my endo, he doesn't 'put me' on anything, we discuss my therapy and decide what is best for my needs. This is based on what I feel like, and how my body responds these days. I used to just do what he said, believing wholeheartedly that sooner or later my body would show the desired results,  but on his regime for 20 odd years, it just never happened.

So then, in discussion with my endo, we decided to up my dose to overdose  level.  We decided possible negative side effects were manageable, but constantly looking young  was unbearable.  A potentially shorter livespan is better than a miserable long life.

• Posted

I don't think height above sea level affects blood thickness, unless you're an athelete abusing testosterone cheesygrin    then you'd want thicker blood, as that means you've got more red blood cells taking more oxygen to your muscles, but the lower air pressure would make pumping that blood round easier.  The downside might come when the person returned to normal  air pressures, or when they normally live poressure.

• Posted

According to the Endocrine Society, an international medical organization, they don't completely understand why haemocrot rises in high altitude areas. But in Colorado in the US, they indicated that it does occur with some individuals. I am one of those individuals. So, I make sure it is under 49. Since I get injections, I get a lower dose than normal, but my injections every 3 weeks, my level is at 300, within the range of nornal. At one of the conventions, there was a male around age 21, who received 900 mg of testosterone, but even that did not increase his levels, so a doctor from John Hopkins in Maryland suggested he go to that clinic to be tested in their Endocrine clinic. It is one of several medical hospitals that are interested in xxy syndrome and testosterone.

• Posted

Yes, well, most XXY's when diagnosed have low normal testosterone, and the range is  "In general, the normal range in males is about 270 to 1070 ng/dL"   Americans traditionally use a different scale but you appear to be using ng/dL  that's nanograms to the decilitre.  So if you're at 300 ng/dL you're low normal, where XXY's are usually found to be, so.... your injections are having no effect at all...  I'd be disappointed if I were you.  I already know I have thicker blood, so I take Aspirin to thin my blood, end of problem, and how it got that way, I don't care, I'm not any different to a great many men my age.  

The Endocrine Society are the US Americans, my Endo grizzled that they don't even bother putting America in their name, the world is just supposed to know it!  cheesygrin   All XXY's are treated according to the Endocruine Societies editcs, unless  special circumstances exist.   

• Posted

So..... what my testosterone level is, or any other level is, is basically irrelevant to me.   I know lots of people put a lot of weight on what their levels are and if that's what makes them happy, so be it.  I however put weight on how I feel and what my body does on whatever level or type of therapy I have.  Curently I'm using rhe Androderm Patch which I find perfectly acceptable.  I think about sex, can perform sexually, have morning erections (or any time erections if I sleep other than at night).  I grow body hair, facial hair, pubic hair, if I want to be tidy I have to shave my face every day.  In order to put the patch on I have to shave my belly every couple of days, as that's where I put it.  biggrin   

As far as I'm concerned life is pretty damn good,  even though I do have a chronic disease.  I don't get depressed over anything, I'm happy just the way things are.   I can't think of anything to be worried about.   cheesygrin

• Posted

Well, since I get a lower dose of testosterone, I do have ED. plus being on haemodyalysis, it lowers my levels even lower. Erections. are harder to obtain, but you are lucky to be on the testosterone patches. As I indicated before. I am allergic to the glue on the patches, so I get injections from my doctors office.I will talk to my doctor soon, to see if I can get the injections every 2 weeks to see if I my levels can rise so I don't have ED. I shave my face because my faces iitches everytime I grow a beard or moustache.E end though, I can't grow a full moustache. Limited hair grows under my nose in that

• Posted

Well, if it is the glue you're allergic to, that's good, you can also get Testosterone Gel.  My Dr suggested the gel and was looking into getting it for me, but my chemist suggested the patch would be easier to maintain an even level, and less fiddley to apply.  Over the years I've chatted to lots of guys who say they're moody or depressed just before they're due for their next dose, so I suggest they overlap, and never actually arrive at the due date before they readminister.  So those guys on a 4 week cycle, they readminister at the 3 week mark, and eventually things work out to their approval.  biggrin   

• Posted

But what you can also do is squeeze the gel out of the patch, and apply that to wherever on your body.  It's not a recommended method, but it's out there if you want to try.   

I've also read of a testosterone spray, don't even know if i can get it here, but I'll try anything once.  cheesygrin

• Posted

In the US, I tried getting the gel it from my health insurance company, but they refused. I found out it it very costly around $300.00 in US dollars, for a tube, so I am stuck with getting injections. What makes it hard, is that I don't have much muscle or fat in my hip, so the nurse usually stick me in my arse. I switch sides from the right to the left arse cheek every 3 weeks. So I assume, it is available in the UK,if you need it.

With the gel. I have heard you rub it on your shoulders, but you have to let it dry and you cannot have anyone touch those areas especially children because you may make them grow into puberty at a faster rate. Can you imagine a 6 yr old having sex organs like a 15 yr old. Or a woman growing a beard. Some men feel like the gel sticks to their shirts. That is why some xxys either get injections, pellets or patches. Maybe when I can afford it, I will try the gels. Pharmacy companies are always looking for new products for testosterone because it is a money maker for them.

• Posted

I pay a grand total of $5.00 for 3 months supply of testostyerone patches, that's roughly 90 patches. Once I've paid $200.00 for all medications added together I pay a grand total of zero dollars.  cheesygrin   When I had a regular partner she injected me herself, when I left her I started injecting myself, and it's not that hard.  I started  doing a reverse style getting it in my left or right buttock, but that was a bit tedious.  Then I got up the nerve to inject it in the front of my thigh , which ended up being the best method.  It is better to be able to see what I was doing!  biggrin  Then one day I just gave up trying, I wanted a nice easy method that had no pain involved, and I went back to Andriol capsules, then they ran out literally, a world wide shortage.  I think the patches are the best. There's one place a child ought never be exposed to, the genitals of adults, so the gel was applied there,  there'd nerver be any transference to a child,  if a man is single there'd be no chance of transference to anybody else, and if he did get into a physical relationship expose for one day, or the time it takes for a one night stand, wouldn't affect the partner, except to make her incredibly  sexually interested, if it was for just one time.  

These therapies weren't invented for us specifically, many more XY men use them successfully, I'm sure we can too. It can't be considered a great hardship to shower before having sex or being intimate, a couple in an established  long term relationship will have developed means to have sex that took individual necessities into account.  Testosterone therapy by any means is not really that big a deal. It's not insurmountable.           

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.