Doc said 'Amlodipine can do that'

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started Amlodipine 6 weeks ago, in addition to Losartan which I've been taking for several years and doesn't lower my blood pressure sufficiently.  I've recently started having the most awful pain and cramping in my arm muscles, and occasionally in my calves.  Feels like I've been punched repeatedly.  Worse at night, gets gradually better through the day, though still bad.  Doc said Amlodipine can have these effects and has told me to stop taking it and see him again in 2 weeks.  Hope it goes soon as it's absolutely awful, and coinciding with a rheumatoid arthritis flare.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mazzy 9  I was only on Amlodipine for three days the pains in my legs was so bad I thought a vein was going to burst kept getting out of bed to relieve the cramps I cant understand why  so many doctors prescribe this drug  when they know of the awlful side effects. 
    • Posted

Because it cheap, and it does work, in the majority of cases.  In my case taken for nearly 16 years without any problems!!

• Posted

Evening Mazzy9, I'm Adrian. After reading your message about Amplodipine. As well as yourself with your legs I had had the same effect. After slowly lowering the dosage from 5/2.5mg had got rid of most of the pain in my legs and improved within time. I am sure it is cheap which make a lot of us suffer after taking it. Good luck to you in the future too. (Adrian)

• Posted

Hello Adrian71  My Blood pressure medication was changed to 5mg Felodipine which after a few days seemed ok. Doctor decided to up to 10mg oh my goodness ankles so swollen I couldnt walk face red and swollen, nose bleeds so I reduced tthe dose back down to 5mg, when I saw  the untrained nusing aide she said I was wasting her time if I didnt take the dose the Doctor recomended. That evening the Doctor telephoned and said I was to up the dose to 20mg seemed taken aback when I said no. I have thyroid problems and have very bad reactions to many blood presure medications. A few days later I had an appointment for a spiro. test in the Asthma clinic and have now been diagoned with COPD  and prescibed Tiotropium bromide inhaler which I use once a day, it has made my breathing so much better so far no sided effects. My breathing problems were caused some years ago by blood pressure medication. Another Blood pressure medication upset my kidneys. Doctors do not seem to listen to their patients any more, too many patients not enough time. I had a great Doctor who saw me me every four months and blood tests every 6 months to check  my  thyroid condition, he reitred over two years ago and since then other than one blood test my thyroid  checks have ceased. regards jacky    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.