Started Taking Magnesium Glycinate for Anxiety/Stress but having bowel issues

Posted , 21 users are following.

I started to take Magnesium Glycinate about a week ago for Stress/Anxiety issues because my Dr. Wanted me on Buspar but I would rather find a natural remedy and found that Magnesium could help. So I bought Magnesium Glycinate and take 200mg in the Morning along with 500mg Of Taurine about an hour after I have taken One a Day multivitamin and Probiotic. 

What I have found Is Im having really loose stools, and I bought the Glycinate because it was supposed to not upset the stomach... But I'm going to the Bathroom Immediatly when I get up from bed and usually again 2-3 more times during the day.. Its not really diarrhea but loose stool, the morning seems to be more normal. But as the day goes on they are really ribbon thin, and then sometimes Diarrhea.. 

I've also just recently switched to a Gluten Free/Dairy Free Diet .. Im just concerened about the stools being so thin.. but wondering if this is the Magnesium causing this or another issue? I have an appit with a GI doctor in about a month, for another issue I have been having with a feeling like something is always stuck in my throat/back, but have no heartburn etc... and after research I believe i may have LPR... so this complicates things more for me.. (( since PPI and antacids etc deplete magnesium))

Also after taking the Magnesium i seem to have a "spaced out" feeling and some lightheadedness... Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this and how to fix it? Should I just go to the oil? or Try the Malate? Im not sure./...confused

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you google "side effects of magnesium" you will see that it includes loose stools. I believe in taking magnesium but I cannot tolerate it either

• Posted

yes but it is usually for Magnesium Oxide, The glycinate states that it should not cause loose bowels or diarrhea so Im just confused.. I also have to follow a low acid diet for reflux so im basically stuck with a Paleo/vegetarian diet.. Im thinking maybe i should try the mag oil spray and see if it helps :*
    • Posted

You could switch to Magnesium Malate. It's more soluble. Make sure you check the multivitamin to see if it has Magnesium!! Might be too much. Take smaller doses 4 times a day and between meals so not to interfere with stomach acid. The oil can be part of the daily intake.

You need Vitamin D - we all do. Sunning is not enough. Also Omega 3 once a day is heart and brain health and very important. Stop the probiotics for a few days to see if the loose stools stop. Taurine 500 mg is a lot. Magnesium taurate would also be good and eliminate the extra 500 mg Taurine. My info comes from. Doctors book on Magnesium and it's given me so much healthy information. Best to you. Be careful too with gluten free products. Are you grain intolerant????

• Posted

I have PCOS and was advised not to eat Dairy or Gluten and It spikes blood sugar levels. The Taurine actually says to take up to 1000mg per day and it helps with the mood so Im pretty sure its not that. I did go out and Buy some Vitamin D3 today and Calcium but unsure if I should take them all together at night or during the day? I already split the mag up 200mg in the morning and 200mg at night.. I've only been doing it a little over a week so im sure my body is still adjusting. I have anxiety/stress issues so I was told to take the 500mg of Taurine and to try to get to a point where i can take 600mg Of mag glycinate a day...

• Posted

Do what's best. Take different ones during the day too. Some you may eat first.

• Posted

Magnesium Glycinate is the best one of all but yes, it can give you loose stools.  Now, are you taking all 4 of these on an empty stomach?  If so, then change to after you eat and don't take them all at once.  Don't forget to add some calcium during the day and is best by just driking milk. I take almond milk which has 50% of the daily value.  And yes again, not all magnesium are the same so try another kind and se how it goes.  I get itchy with the Epson Salt but not with regular magnesium like the one you take

• Posted

I eat breakfast in the morning and then take My Multivitamin and My Probitoic, I wait for about an hour after that to take My Mag Glycinate 1 pill 200mg (( because my Multivitamin has iron and it can inhibit the absorbtion of it)) and 500mg of Taurine... I am not taking any Calcium currently but my multivitamin has 80mg of it in there... I cannot drink Dairy as I am on a Gluten Free/Dairy Free diet as well as Low Acid for Reflux issues. So I drink Almond Milk 1X a day .. The other time I take Mag Glycinate is at night and its just 1 of the 200mg pills again and I take it about an hour before bedtime.
    • Posted

If you take 200 of Mag you should take at least 400mg of calcium.  Almond milk will do the job, it has 40% so if you take 2 daily that alone is 80% of what you need. So you actually take 400mg of Magnesium which is 100% of what you need daily but maybe you should take that morning dose right after you eat.  You appear to be on the right track so if taking it after you eat does not help then your best option is to change to another magnisium like the oil.    btw, LPR is the same as GERD but instead of the reflux stoping at the chest it goes all the way up to the throat and that s why most of the time people with LRP does not have heartburn.  I have what apear to be both, no heartburn but I do have reflux on my esopagus which puts pressure on my upper chest and it goes up as well with the itching on the throat and hoaseness.    So far I have tried all the PPI's and H2 blockers with negative results.    I do have a bacteria (detected from a SIBO breathe test) which I will get the medication on Thursday hoping this will help because this bacteria causes gas which could be my problem.   Is not H Pylori. ;-)

• Posted

Thank you so much!! I was just looking at calcium/mag ratios and it said 2:1 , Do you think I should still supplement with calcium? And what about Vitamin D? Should I also supplement with that... Sorry for all the questions just trying to get this all figured out...I thought you weren't supposed to take Mag after you ate? I read that it interferes with absorbtion?  Yes my reflux sucks!! I have a feeling all the time that there is something stuck in my throat or in my back!! But no other issues.. Except for feeling like there is excess mucus in my throat.. No heartburn EVER... or chronic coughing etc.. I hope you can get yours under control too.. I DO NOT want to be on PPI's etc...

• Posted

If you are not under PPI's you should not need to supplement with Vitamin D unless you actually have a deficiency on them.  I live in Florida, so just 20 minute daily and I'm good. I'm taking Dexilant 60mg right now, only my 10th day but so far nothing.  I already tried everything else so this is the end of the road for me unless the bacteria is actually the reason for all my problems. Now, my stomach acid levels are normal, food is not getting stock and my valve is working properly so my Pulmo Doc gave me a referral for a new GI at one of the 5 best hospitals here in the USA which is Mayo Clinic in Florida.  He said that if I had pain on my chest that will manifest and feel like pressure and lack of air but the test done to see if this is the problem is only done by places like Mayo Clinic.  Regular GI's don't go that far. ;-

• Posted

Take with food and half the dose. See if that helps. Magnesium does cause loose stools so get your electro lights. Try a little baking soda and salt in a glass of water and sip during day. There is a good magnesium powder in U.S. Called CALM. Helps to rest and good sleep taken at night.
    • Posted

I already halved the dose (( supposed to take 400mg)) per day so I split it up. I take 1 pill in the morning ((about an hour after I eat)) because I take my multivitamin and Probitoic right after I eat.. I cannot take them together because of the Iron in my multivitamin. and the other pill I take about an hour before Bedtime... I will look into the Powder though thanks for the suggestion smile

• Posted

If you are experiencing loose stools add magnesium oil and cut back on dairy. Calcium cane be LESS percentage to Magnesium. Take half magnesium in am and other half at bedtime. Helps muscles relax including the brain - a muscle like the heart. Do take D3 vitamin and selenium. Avoid sugar or cut back. B complex and Sam-e supplements. Melatonin is a good sleep aid. No more then 3 mg couple hours before bedtime. Eat healthy food. Veggies fruits. No juices. Enjoy a glass of red wine. Take Rhodiola at bedtime. Meditation, exercise and walks before bed.

Music is so good. Soothing kind. Be patient and be the patient that heals yourself. Mostly love you.

• Posted

I had to start a Dairy Free/Gluten Free Diet last week due to acid reflux issues so my diet is also Low acid foods and limited. I take half of the mag in the AM and half at night to space it out and Im still having the issue. I also started a newer stronger probiotic so maybe that is part of it as well. I try to avoid suger and do not drink alcohol or any caffenated beverage. I've only been on the Magnesium for about a week and did not know if this is something that would pass or if I should just skip it and go to an oil.. I have pretty bad anxiety so I was reading i needed at least 600-800mg a day of magnesium and i can barely take 400... Was hoping maybe i would work my tolerance up but so far its staying the same

• Posted

I discovered using magnesium 'oil' and rubbing on joints, muscles, etc. it is easily absorbed.  You can investigate info.  It can be purchased but I make my own cheaply from magnesium chloride flakes with distilled water.  e.g. 100 grams of mag. ch. flakes diluted with 100 ml. of distilled water.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.