Bowel problems - please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 28 year old male and have a history of bowel issues. 4 and a half years ago I had a sigmoidoscopy which came back fine. Historicallying my symptoms would include gas and bloating, especially in the morning, constipation and which eventually cause hemorrhoid type issues. This has been on and off since then and I try and stay relatively healthy eating a balanced diet and moderate exercise, however I am no saint and have the occasional blow out. In the last couple of weeks tho I have noticed I have been going to the toilet more often. After a weekend away where I drank heavily my stool was very loose however I think this is to be expected due to the alcohol but other than that my stools have been fairly solid and they do not seem to have a sign of blood on them. I also have gas, bloating and flatulence a little more than usual however I would not say excessive. I have anxieties about my health and I am not sure if this is amplifying the symptoms. I am trying to tell myself this should not be anything alarming due to the test I had 4 and a half years ago which came back all clear and I know these things take years to develop. The sigmoidoscopy only investigates the lower half of the colon but this seems to be where the issue is rather than upper abdominal. I am away at the minute and have booked a doctors appointment for when I get back in 2 weeks but could anyone ease my mind and tell me I am just thinking the worst? Maybe the increased bowel habits is just something natural or a food intolerance which is becoming more apparent. As far as I am aware I have not drastically changed my diet for this to be the cause. In the last few months I have had itchy anus more often than usual but again I put this down to hemorrhoid issues. Someone help. Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Just to add to the above I am starting to think the reason for more bowel movements is possibly because I am not fully evacuating in the first place. I am not sure the reason for this, if this can progress as one gets older. I eat a relatively healthy diet I believe with a focus on vegetables, fruit and lean fish / tuna more often than not.
  • Posted

Hi Adam, whatever you do,, don't think the worst but it may be worth you seeing your GP for another test, just to put your mind at rest, best wishes, Fiona

• Posted

Yes, best to talk to GP! You may have to look to your diet also! Veg can cause you problems as well as being nutricious too! Not all are good for bowel problems and alcohol in excess is a no no! Good luck with GP but don't worry!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.