Two weeks postop, still feel awful

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had surgery two weeks ago to remove a 6 cm cyst on my ovary. The surgery was done laparoscopically, and the doctor also removed half of the ovary that the cyst was growing on.  I have been recovering for the last two weeks as my job is very active and required more downtime for me to get well. I am still having a lot of discomfort around the area where the cyst was removed. I also feel very bloated  and my bowel movements have been very inconsistent and frustrating. I stopped using pain meds after the first week, so I am not concerned that it is due to constipation from the pain meds. I have continued to use stool softener is just to be safe. I have read a lot of  stories where women feel better days after the surgery why I don't feel better yet. Of course my doctor is the one to talk to, and I have a follow-up appointment very soon,  but I would love to hear some anecdotes from people who maybe have had the same symptoms as I after the surgery. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fervle...

I had a lap to remove several moderate endo implants and remove my RT ovary/fallopian tube. I remember feeling terrible for a few weeks following, even making a follow up appt with the clinic 3 weeks later to make sure it was normal to still be so "abnormal". It was. I can honestly say I wasn't back to 100% "normal" for 6-8 weeks following surgery. I'm early 40s, so my age was a factor too. 

The constipation caused by pain meds can cause horrible pain - keep taking the stool softener and let your provider know you're still taking it (he may suggest otherwise). So....you're doing everything right. Some suggestions:

1. Don't push yourself too much too soon. Your body will recover in it's own time. I know it's frustrating and I know it's lame -- but give yourself time to heal. Heating pad, lots of rest, taking things one step at a time. 

2. Take small steps towards normal activity. I didn't drive for like 2 weeks after surgery -- it may have been 3 weeks. Do small chores like empty the dishwasher, do a load of laundry and see how you feel. If you feel good, try another load or cook a meal. Put off any chores that require lifting or pushing (no vacuum for a while, no lawn mower!).

3. Get lots of fluids (Water!), eat appropriately (your body needs nutrients to heal), shower every day, even when you feel yuck (it will make you feel better to be clean and dressed!). But again, don't push yourself! If all you can do tomorrow is shower, dress and maybe make lunch, then that's a great start.

4. Don't torture yourself. If you feel like your pain is bad enough that you need something stronger than OTC meds, tell your doctor. I stopped taking mine within a week after surgery too, and I pushed myself too hard. Listen to your body.

5. It never hurts to have a follow up -- I'm glad to hear you have one scheduled. I called the Nurse Advice line more than once with questions in the weeks after my surgery- don't hesitate to do this, they can reassure you and give you excellent advice or even triage you and set you up with a sooner appt if they think it's warranted. 

So...in closing, I'd say that what you're feeling, based on my own experience, is normal recovery. But every body is different -- trust yours and never be afraid to ask questions or call the clinic if you're worried. It's their job to continue your care!

I can tell you that when I started to finally feel like myself again, things moved along quickly as far as getting back to "normal". In the mean time, take it easy, rent some good chick flicks, get some awesome food and treat yourself. 

Good luck, sister. :D

• Posted

You are an ANGEL!!  Thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful reply, definitely calmed my nerves a bit.  Thank you so much!!
    • Posted

Hi Fervle - It's been a month and I'm just now following up (sorry!) -- how are you feeling??? 

• Posted

Hi, I had surgery two weeks ago yesterday and i have to admit i was one of those people saying i was fine after a week, it was more the fact that i could move around a lot quicker than i thought i would be rather than being 100% recovered, perhaps other people saying that they are recovered are more suprised they dont feel quite as awful as expected, i think its more peoples initial expectations that determine how quickly they feel they recover, you read things of people saying they were recovered quickly so perhaps you thought you would be 100% by now. I read people saying 4-6 weeks recovery, no lifting anything, no driving etc so when i could walk around by end of week 1 fairly comfortably i thought id recovered quickly.

I am still not 100%, i can move around and my wounds have nearly healed but my bowels still seem off with bouts of constipation/loose stools and gas, i have a hard lump which is still quite sore under one of the incisions, i am bleeding on and off constantly and its been quite painful and heavy, i started getting quite dizzy and lightheaded and that happened about 10 post op, im guessing from blood loss. My insides definitely dont feel 100% or comfortable and ive only just had in the last 3 days the feeling of pulling, twisting and heaviness decrease where the lump is, i panicked thinking i now had a hernia from the surgery.

You will recover but as K51551 said it is an individual situation of how quickly your body heals. I do office work so i only need to lift a pen which means i went back to work quickly but your job is active so it would be impossible fo you to do that, if i just said i was back to work after 7 days it gives a perception that your not healing as quick as me but the truth is i sit all day so it is not a true picture.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.