lymphedema

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just finished my operation few days ago with regards to removal of a borderline tumor from my ovarian areas. I was told that they had removed my lymph nodes together with the mass that they found as they wanted to test is there any spread at any areas. But beforehand they didn't tell me any side effects of removing my lymph nodes and how much will they removed. Now I am force to have compression socks on for at least 6 weeks by the physiotheraphist as she told me that I may get lymphedema since my lymph nodes had been removed. I was so shocked after I heard that it is going to be a forever thing to maintain my legs to keep it away from injury, injection and etc. Please can anybody give me some advice regarding this? I am super troubled by this situation right now because it is going to affect my whole life. I am 22 this year. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I admit, I did not get in on the beginning of this discussion.  I am only replying to the edema.  From the little I know about it, I would think it comes and goes so I would hope you won't always have this with you.  Perhaps the doctor only wanted you to be aware of it and take what steps you can to address the swelling - the support hose or bands at that time.  Sounds as though you are very observant and doing a good job!  My best to you.

• Posted

jo29553, I just received a similar shocking diagnosis, though for a different reason. I do wonder, however, if it really is for a different reason after reading your post: I had the same surgery and am unsure how much was removed (lymph nodes also or just ovaries). Just know that you are not alone, nor the only one afraid of this bizarre diagnosis. The whole "rest of your life" maintenance requirements are hard for me to grasp, too, and I'm over twice your age. One piece of advice: be lucky you were diagnosed early because my doctors didn't figure it out until I pushed articles into their hands. I am covered head to toe in edema--40 pounds gained in about 4 weeks about a year and a half ago. My therapists who are treating me for it say it will be difficult to get rid of because it has been with me for so long. Perhaps after awhile your body will heal and you will never develop lymphedema because of wearing those socks? I hope so much that it is true for you. Best wishes, and know that you don't cry alone in frustration.

• Posted

It sounds like you've been there a lot, and I'm sorry that your doctors didn't prepare you as well as they could have. It sounds like you're on top of things and being really proactive at addressing any side effects from the surgery.

Keep a journal of any symptoms you have. Write down any questions or concerns that come then definitely follow up with your doctor and surgeon. Wanted to pass along some samples of questions to ask which might help that conversation along. biggrin

For lymphedema, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:

What's the likeliest cause of this swelling?

Could there be another cause?

What tests do I need? Do these tests require special preparation?

Is the swelling temporary or long lasting?

What's the treatment for lymphedema?

Are there alternatives to the approach you're suggesting?

Are there things I should avoid with the arm that has had lymph

nodes removed (i.e., blood pressure, blood draws, shots)?

Are there medications to ease the swelling?

I have other health conditions. How can I best manage them together?

Do I need to restrict my diet or activities?

Is there anything else I can I do to avoid lymphedema?

If I get a cut, burn or insect bite on the affected arm, what should I do?

What is a compression sleeve? Should I wear one? Do I have to wear it at all times, even at night? What about on an airplane?

Do you have brochures or other printed material that I can take? What websites do you recommend?

A post recovery appointment is standard practice and you deserve to be informed about what comes next so please get in touch with your docs!

• Posted

Excellent advice! I'll take some of it, too: I haven't yet asked some of the questions you posed. Thank you for posting this insiteful comment!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.