Numbness, now burning in one leg

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi!

i had bilateral vein stripping 2.5 wks ago.went good, don't regret having both done at the same time. The issues I am having is on my left leg from my knee down. First it was where the incisions where made right where my knee bends and the scar tissue cause pain and discomfort when I walk, and I have numbness from those incisions down on my shin down into the side of my calf. Today i started getting some burning coming and going in this area and I realize this must be nerve damage. The frustrating part is that I had no visible veins in this leg, but ultra sound showed faulty valve in my groin area on both legs.

anyone else have this issue and did it go away? I'm scared I will have this always now, and I have enough pain with my fibro I don't need this added on!

please share your experience with me! Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you as it reminds me of my Mothers experience in having these veins stripped. We are based in UK and sadly my Mother is no longer alive to say exactly what she suffered and always regretted the op.  but years ago in UK doctors advised the stripping of these veins. Now they don't! I guess that you may be in the US where it still seems common to remedy?

I have mild varicose veins all of a sudden being aware of them and them becoming a problem but NHS advise given to me was to avoid surgery at all costs unless they got knocked and started to bleed.

I just wear support hose which helps a great deal not only to relieve any aches / pains but to prevent further ones from developing. My only advice to you is to go to your doctor with these new symptoms and get advice as to whether exersise as in walking a mile a day which I have found beneficial will help? Or is it just a time healing process - get reassured!

Regards - Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate,

i am from Canada, and it is still a very common surgery, and our health care pays for it. A lot of the other ones we have to pay for ourselves. I have been walking, but have issues with my hip and other leg not related to the veins that prevents me from even walking a mile these days, at least at one time. I'll keep praying this is only a temporary issue that will resolve itself soon!

thanks for your reply!

• Posted

I am sorry that I cannot help you as I know when people come online here they are reaching out for help. It is quite soon after your procedure so let time take its course andĀ  just keep in touch with the meds as if you have other probs with your legs / hip get them to advise you and to give the best possible professionalĀ  advice. XX
  • Posted

Hello,I also had bilateral vien stripping & ended uup with nerve damage & alot of pain in my lower left leg. The pain is gone now but it is still a little numb. I also had a bad ulcer in around the same area from the bad viens  that got worse when it became a staff infection. 

that is healed up now also. my viens were stripped about 4 months ago.

I live in Canada. I am hoping the nerve damage will go away also but i heard it takes a long time

Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.