Spinal mri

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had my mri results back and at a loss of exactly what it all means, could someone please try n help me understand it please,

Broadbased disc bulge with facet joint degeneration at L3/4

Broadbased bulge, disc degeneration, facet joint degeneration L4/5 also says central protusion with radial tear

Broadbased bulge, disc degeneration, facet joint degenerstion L5/S1 with abutment of the right transiting root

Haemangiomata in the vertebral bodies of T12 and L1

Any help understandin any of this is much apprecisted

Thsnkyou

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tina

Hope you feeling well.

My scan showed I have an annular tear on l4 and l5 with disc protrusion which meant the disc tissue had torn with the inner disc pushing out onto my spinal cord well that's from my understanding and what my doc had told me...

Degeneration is normal aging of our joints

Hope that part helps

• Posted

No need more scans done due to further damage a year later but I'm scared also but at the same time doc said I don't have a choice as I would risk possible paralysis in the long run you should get further advice from your doctor if your legs are feeling like that I also have same issues with my legs which is disrupting daily activity there are some good docs out there

• Posted

Im just waitin on appointment with a neurosurgeon, dont think goin back to doctor will help, will just av to wait for this appointment, its fustrating x
  • Posted

Hi Tina,,,,,,I'm presuming you had your MRI on the Nhs ?    I did with mine and it was an utter waste of time seeing my Gps.....All they wanted to do was fob me off to Trauma and Orthopaedics/ Neurosurgeon.........Which will be the best for you as they will give you the best assesment......The only down side is the waiting times !

• Posted

Yes was done on nhs, my orthapeadic consultant did me a urgency referal to neuro surgeon on 8th june and still avent heard anything, im in constant pain and now my leg keeps as i say goin to sleep on me which is resulting in me havin a fall, im just fed up, im very scared incase i have to av surgery sad

• Posted

Hi Tina....I saw a Neurosurgeon last week...he went through all my options/injections/physio/surgery.....Surgery being my best option....been on the urgent list is abot 4/5 weeks depending on which area you live in....I got cancelled by orthapeadic twice,i've got my third one this Wed.....I had to pay private to see the Neurosurgeon.....

• Posted

Im waiting to be seen at salford royal manchester, its driving me crazy waiting, ive rang but still no ine seems to inow when i will be seen
    • Posted

I live near Hull...You get a self referral service...a choice of 2 hospitals!.Going private cost about 150-300 but can get you on a Nhs treatment list bit quicker!
  • Posted

Hi Tina.

My suggestion to everyone is go to the radiology department at the hospital and order a CD copy of your scan. You can copy the CD on your computer and make further copies.

Then I sent a copy to a top private surgeon in London who looked over the scans prior to my appointment and at the appointment he was perfect he explained everything and now I know exactly what to do when I go back to the NHS.

It cost me £300 to see him and it is the best money I have ever spent.

The surgeon was Mr Tucker at the Wellington Hospital.

It is totally worth considering

• Posted

The letters represent the vertebrae ( the boney segments) that make up your spine, that protect your spinal cord. From the top. C is Cervical these are the 7 vertebrae of your neck, C1 to C7. Next is T is for Thoracic which are the next 12 vertebrae T1 down to T12. Then L which is lumbar of which there are 5, so L1 to L5. S  are the 5 fused vertebrae of the Sacral vertebrae.Take T12, that's the 12th Thoracic vertebrae before L1.

The broadbased bulge is that they have seen that the cushioning disc between the L3 and L4 vertebrae is protruding, the vertebrae shows degeneration, which allows the disc to bulge through and this will often then press on nerve roots. Given they have said you also have this between L or Lumbar 4/5 and L5/S1 you'll no doubt be in some pain, so i wish you well.

Have you been shown this report or given a copy? Has a consultant/GP explained it for you. It is far better to wait for them to explain as your report includes very detailed results and it would be wrong for anyone to give you anything more than an overview of some of the meaning such as those above about the vertebrae which is more general.  The Consultant/GP can also then explain the treatment for you with relation to the findings.

Hopefully I've given you a small clue as to the "letter and number" meanings. I hope all goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.