colonoscopy anxiety

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi , i am being referred for this but having known nothing about it, i've looked stuff up on line and now i am feeling very anxious! ignorance is definately bliss if you're a worrier!! can any one out there put my mind at ease please? i am worried how the prep stuff will affect me - do you really need to stay chained to the loo all day and night? i won't be able to have sedation as i'll need to drive, as i am a full time single parent and carer. i'm too mortified and embarrassed to ask for friends to step in and help me out! is it an ok thing to go to alone? thank you

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi reading your message sounds like me first of all are you haveing a full one or a flexiscope that just looks in the small bowel.if so you dont have to have sedation.i dident but ive had 2 now and another in 8 weeks time.i am a worryer im still waiting for results from a month ago and its driving me mad but what can you do noTHING. can you not get a taxi or someone in the family to help.the prosedure is uncomfotable but bearable.some say it was fine and it may be for you like child birth we all cope in our own way.just try to relax and it will soon be over and done with.the prep is not great and yes you need to be by a toilet most af the time i had movi prep.not nive to take but your bowel needs to be completly empy or they wont do it.try not to worry says me lol.good luck x
  • Posted

Don't be embarrassed. U won't be able to drive the day of prep as u will need the loo. I wasn't on it all day but for a few hours u will def need the loo as trust me you won't be able to keep it in lol It wasn't as bad as I was thinking to be honest so don't stress too much. I was sedated so can't say much about how it goes without. Although was totally fine afterwards I wouldn't have dreamt of driving due to sedation. But by the evening I was back to normal doing housework, playing football with my son and walking the dog and most of all feeling happy and relaxed knowing I did it ??

• Posted

Hello.  Don't be so anxious about it, just think of all the hundreds of people having it done every day !

I don't have anyone with me when I go, but I've found the nurses and doctors are wonderful before, during and after and they are all very reassuring.

I'm in UK and the prep starts 3 days beforehand changing to a light low fibre diet (hospital gives a list of does and don'ts).  The day before 2 senna tablets then some hours later a laxative powder mixed with water.  I have never had any problems with this, but don't leave the house!  No food 24 hours before then another powder.

I try to start a low fibre diet in advance anyway, and think this makes things easier as there isn't so much to get rid of (if you understand).

I hope that is a bit of help, and I'm sure all will go well for you. j

• Posted

Hi again - Just to say my appointment was at 3 pm and I had to take the final laxative powder at 6 am same day.  Took me nearly 2 hours to drive to hospital but there was no problem at all.   Just keep drinking clear fluid though.  j
  • Posted

The best advice I can give is ask your dr if you can do the Gatorade prep.  It is just Gatorade and Miralax.  It goes down nice.  It just taste like Gatorade.  You are not on the toliet ever second.  I just had mine and was on the toliet like 10 times but 10 times spread apart from 6pm-12am.  The test is simple.  Your asleep the whole time.  
    • Posted

hi why do alot of people say they sleeped through the test because it never did anythink for me you are so lucky 
    • Posted

Got to agree with you there shirley.  My hospital info. says "The aim of these drugs is to make you relaxed and minimise any discomfort.  You will be awake through the whole procedure".  

My understanding is they never 'knock you out' just relax you.

• Posted

In the US, they "knock you out" so they can go as quickly as possible to enhance their revenues.  It is a huge industry in the US, in fact.  According to an article on a website of a gastroenterologists' association, 55% of GI docs refuse Medicare patients (the govt program for those 65+ yo) because the reimbursement is so much lower than what can be negotiated with private insurance companies available to those under 65 yo.  Yet, many of those who would benefit from this test would be those on Medicare.  Then again, the GI docs keep their eye on that pot of gold that the pre-Medicare patients have.

It is sad, but often doctors will often only talk about medical options after discussing what insurance coverage is there.  It is all about the money.

• Posted

Hi Mindy,

mummymayhem won't be asleep as she is not having sedation. I had one without sedation and watched it on the monitor. smile 

• Posted

I have never heard of someone being awake.  I think if you specificaly tell them you want to be out they will give you enough medicine to knock you out completely.  I told my dr I wanted to be all the way out and I have been all three times.
    • Posted

That sounds like how they do it here in the states, with twilight or full anaesthesia.  I was the only one that day that has no drugs for my Colonoscopy, by my own choice.   I got to see my own colon and the doctor and I saw no polyps.  Everyone reacts differently to Colonoscopy so I cannot say if anyone else will experience it the same way I did.
  • Posted

No need to panic about the test itself or the prep. I think that you should ask a friend to drive you, so that you can have the medications that will make the test quite easy for yourself.
  • Posted

Just adding my bit. I found the prep ok, just a lot of drinking! Yes, stay near the loo and have some baby wipes or something handy. I was mildly sedated but remember everything. I think they want you to be able to follow instructions like moving a bit etc. The actual procedure was no problem at all and I was quite chatty throughout. Interesting to watch on the screen too. A snooze when I got home, after eating anything I fancied. You'll be fine. Don't drive! Keep us up to date if you can. razz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.