Keeping active

Posted , 2 users are following.

my partner has scheuermann's as well as lower back problems that come with it. I am Concerned that sitting about at home is not doing his mental health any good at all. I enjoy cycling and would like him to be able to join me. Does anyone have experience with the recumbent bikes? If so do you recommend them? 

Many thanks 

Thea

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Thea,

It's not good for one's mental health sit at home, for sure. However, when you are crippled with back pain, most physical activities just become too painful. I can't imagine that I would have tolerated sitting on a bicycle seat and trying to pedal when my back was in bad shape.

Hope I'm not becoming a broken record on this board, but in my opinion the best activity for anyone with back pain is Bikram Yoga. Stretching and strengthening the spine in a hot, humid room brought me almost instant pain relief, and I went from being crippled to completely able-bodied in the matter of a few months.

Maybe it's something you both could try together?

• Posted

Thanks for the tip Margaret, we have tried to convince him to do yoga before and he flat out refuses. 

The bikes I am on about are the ones where you sit almost in a reclined position and pedal with your feet in front of you. Like these. 

• Posted

I got you, my husband is the same way. Lives with me, sees the transformation, but still would rather live with back pain than go to class with me. For me, it took the threat of a second surgery to make me desperate enough to try it. I just don't know about the bikes, my pain was so bad that I had difficulty walking, not sure how bad off your SO is...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.