Had the HM w/ Wrap April 18 2016- Back to having Issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 30 years old and was finally diagnosed with Achalasia in December 2015. I opted for the HM w/ Wrap and had my surgery April 18th of this year. Here I am not even 3 months out and I have started having issues again. Surgeon/Doctor can't see me until August 6th, curious as to if anyone else has had issues after surgery this soon and if so what were your options your second time around?  My food at this point is going down still but I have to have lots of water on hand to help get it to go down all the way. No breads or pasta again. These are all signs of how this all started with me therefore I know within in 6 months I'll be back to a liquid diet!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

90% of patients have a good outcome from these operations, so perhaps there is something specific that has developed in your case that will need to be investigated. You do have to avoid difficult foods, and to eat carefully and without undue stress. Sometimes another manometry test might show that the myotomy may have to be extended, but this can only be speculation until you have been examined and tested. Meanwhile you should try and be as kind as you can to yourself and stay with soft food until you know more. I hope that it improves.
  • Posted

Hello Heather,

so so sorry to hear your news. I can only tell you how my son is doing and he's doing as well as could be expected. He has good days and he has days when it's a bit of a struggle to pass his food, but on the bad days he just waits and eventually he can eat.

hes doing as well as expected considering we're he was at.

only thing I can suggest is having the swallow study again to see if your procedure is indeed not working for some reason.

my sons doctor told us this.....this procedure will work because there's basically a hole that was opened so food can pass through. 

Get as as much info as possible and keep fighting. 

Best st of luck to you and God bless.

• Posted

I had the HM surgery w/dor fundiplication about 4yrs ago and it only helped for maybe a year. My symptoms returned w/a vengeance and it's now, like I never had the surgery. I'm also aspirating once or twice a week and back to choking on almost everything from pills to mashed potatoes. I'm praying for some relief somewhere and hoping I don't have to have yet another endoscopy. They don't help that much either. Not sure what can at this point, but the aspirating is the worst. Praying you find some relief as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.