Bladder retention/trouble passing urine. Could this be Endometriosis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I am a 20 year old female who works in a hospital as a health care assistant. I am suffering with urinary retention and currently undergoing tests to try and see what is causing it? It got to a pooint about a month ago that i couldnt pass urine at all and was taken to hospital. They did a bladder scan and i had over a ltire in my bladder that i was unable to get rid of. So they put a catheter in to empty my bladder. I was sent home with a catheter for 3 weeks until I was taught self-catheterisation techniques from a special nurse. I am now back to work and having to catheterise myself about 4 times a day. I have had an MRI scan ordered by my urologist and had an ultrasound yesterday but the doctor said she couldnt see anything unusual. My aunty has got endometriosis in her ovaries she is a nurse and suggested it could be this. I was just wondering whether anyone (around my age group) has had a similar problem? Or if anyone knows whether it could be endometriosis causing this? Thanks so much for your help. Rebecca

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca Is this your only symptom ? Im currently in the process of being diagonsed with Endo My urine seems to be a little less than usual but not a main symptom of endo I believe I could be wrong.. Have you had your kidneys checked id advise getting a kidney function blood test hun and start from there a kidney scan also would be a good start to smile 

• Posted

Poor you Rebecca - urinary retention is no fun at any at age, but especially not when you're young. In terms of your question about endometriosis - I think you might get more replies if you posted in a forum specifically for people with endometriosis. Endometriosis does have a genetic element so it could be relevant your aunty has it, and people can get endometriosis of the bladder. I have it, and for me it causes me to have urgency/pee more frequently before my period - but that doesn't mean some people don't get the opposite. Endometriosis can be diagnosed with a laparoscopy (small incision made and camera to take images inside you) since no other definite way of diagnosing.

Something I came across when recently reading about urinary retention is Fowlers syndrome. It's apparently most common in young women, and causes urinary retention. Worth looking into. Also spinal nerves can create issues with urinary retention but I'm sure your doctor has eliminated Cauda Equina etc.

I hope you feel better soon (or already do since this was a couple months ago). Waiting for answers can be tricky. All the best xx

• Posted

Rebecca,

This was months ago and I was wondering if you had gotten any answers? I am 29 and currently having the same issues. I have begun to self cath once a day or more if needed. I am having horrible pelvuc pain and have for the last year. Drs can not tell what the issue is. There are no infections of the uterus etc. My urinary issues started about 3 months ago with an antibiotic resistant uti. I got passed it, but now have issues with my my urination. I have held fluid even after having at cath at the drs office! Next step is mri, but I have a pacemaker and can not have one. Anybody, help! Any answers you have gotten, anything.

Thank in advance!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.