How long does carpal tunnel syndrome go for?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had cts in my non dominant hand for 4 months, waking up in the middle of the night with severe pain and  the morning with pins &needles. A wrist splint helped at night and then a steroid injection also helped. The symptoms seem to be returning now though. If I hold a book up, the tingling starts and there is an ache in both wrists. They don't feel normal so I am avoiding much usage. I don't have severe pain but can't do everything I want to do. Please how long does it go on for. Anyone else having had the injection?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maggie

M cts was on my right hand (dominant hand) I had 2 steroid injections; 1st lasted 9 months, 2nd 2 months so the consultant realised that Surgery was the next move. I think the steroid injections are a good indicator of whether the next step is surgery.

I am 5 weeks post op and it's amazing. I got immediate relief straight away. So after over 3 years of no sleep I am sleeping soundly :-) I went to see the surgeon yesterday and he has signed me off.

• Posted

Hello Hayley

​Good to hear that the op has been so successful! I am stil hoping I may not need the op but aching is getting me a bit down but I am not as far down the road altho I have been back to the splint at times. It is great to hear of the op being so successful though. I will go back to the dr soon

• Posted

Hi Maggie

I had the symptoms you are having for about 4 yrs. I just dealt with it. I never had the shot but abo 8 months ago the pain , pins and need got very bad. I when to my doctor and she sent me for a nerve conduction test by a neurologist. I have CTS in both hands. I was going to a physical therapist for another problem. He worked on my most painful hand out of the goodness in his heart. My hand hurt like heck the next day but I was amazed by the difference after that. I was also told by my doctor to wear the splints every night. This did help with the hands as finally I got more sleep than they did. I had

Surgery on the right hand in June. I will not do the left. I go back to the surgeon tomorrow.

• Posted

Thank you Holly, it is good to communicate as when the pain did come it was so severe. It isn't severe now but is a low level continuous ache with some pins and needles. I am back to wearing a splint at night and I have started taking Serrapeptase. I don't know if anyone else has heard of that? The physio is a good idea. I wonder whether to have another injection or the op, will go back to the Dr though

Anyway, much good luck with the op for your right hand

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.