After surgery swimming.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anyone give me any advise please?

I had my surgery at the end of May and everything seems to be going well. Trouble now is though I

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry about that I pressed enter by accident.

As I was saying my after my surgery everything seems ok. I have seen my ENT once since then to get my packing out and he said it looks good. Trouble is I seem to be having trouble getting another appointment before September but I am going on holiday in August.

My ENT said flying should be no problem so that is ok. My question is what about swimming? Obviously I know I need to wear ear plugs to avoid water getting in but any advise on the type? Putty ones that mold in to shape or generic ones that push in?

Also Scuba diving I would love to try but is this a no no?

Thank you.

• Posted

I'd say no to scuba as my 6 yr old (done April) has been told she can go swimming but not to spend time under water! I had her ear plugs made at hospital. £20 per ear but worth every penny as she can use them for showering etc too. They are obviously reusable until they grow out! Not sure whether you know you're not supposed to get your ears wet at all, she was having to hold cups over her ears whilst showering and hair washing. These plugs are molded exactly to her ear shape and fit snugly in. I would definitly recommend. Or if it's only for holiday use them the mouldable putty ones are ok but not great long term. Hope this helps.

• Posted

to add to this for ocean swimmning or water parks i suggest a water head band to really ensure the ear stays as dry as possible.
    • Posted

Thanks maria, took a long time to reply because I do not get emails for some reason.

Yes I know I can not get it wet even showering I keep it dry. I suggest you might like to try cotton wool with Vasaline on your daughters ear while showering it has worked a treat for me and kept water out no problem even my ENT said Vasaline is fine.

Yes I had heard about buying special plugs from the NHS but my last app with my ENT was last week but I am going away next week even he said it was doubtful they would be made in time so I just bought some moldable silicon ones and will use a bit of vasaline around the edges to keep them as water tight as possible as I will not be dunking my head which is a shame as I love playing in the water with my son but I guess it is not worth it.

• Posted

Yeah Brian I was thinking the same before I seen my ENT. Now though I have decided it simply is not worth having for me a normal time swimming, I will stay away from waterslides jumping in and swimming underwater.

It is a real shame as I love swimming and the higher the diving board or the bigger the water slide and deeper the water to me the better, it simply is not worth it though so this year I will just take it easy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.