Nighttime Back Ache

Posted , 4 users are following.

Help!  Can't sleep.  Ever since total knee replacement and stopping the use of opioid, my back has kept me up at night.  No position is comfortable.  Pillow between legs does not work.  Heating pad does not work, although it helped before I had the operation.  Ibuprofen or Tylenol give temporary, light relief, but unable to sleep for more than a couple hours at a time and then toss and turn, toss and turn.  Any suggestions anyone?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joyfull, your life doesn't sound at all joyful at the moment. I get relief from Gabapentin. I have been on them for quite a while now and have found them brilliant. I have also, in the past had good experience from seeing an osteopath. Last year I had an x ray guided spinal injection which has given me months of relief. My younger daughter is a great believer in acupuncture, cupping and has also used osteopathy and physiotherapy. I hope and pray you find something that works for you. Warmest regards D

• Posted

My mother had a knee replacement in March and I was her nurse, so going thru that in itself is bad enough. Did you have any back pain at all before your knee surgery? If not, I'm wondering if having to put all your weight on your good knee has caused something to come out of alignment. I have chronic pain (15+ years) & my heating pad is my best friend. I agree with Dianne. Neurontin (generic name Gabapentin) helps with pain (apparently esp for nerve pain). The way it works is that it's supposed to help people with pain stay asleep. I take mine early bc it takes about 2-3 hrs for it to kick in. You don't get high feeling from it or anything, but if you have to get up in the middle of the night, you will feel kinda drunk. I only take 600mg. FYI: I know we're not supposed to mention certain things on these forums, but I just purchased a blanket heating pad (about $150-ouch!) that works with infrared heat. It's supposed to penetrate 3" into muscle and bone. It's sold on a well known site that sells expensive gadgets (they used to have stores in malls). I have been happy with mine so far. I hope you find something that works for you. Life without pain would be so nicebiggrin

• Posted

My lower back pain due to arthritis was pretty much under control before the operation. But after the operation I slept in one position for at least 2 to 3 weeks. I was told that when you get a knee replacement your entire leg is affected, including making your hip weak. Also add to that walking oddly and wa-las the back pain is back. My physical therapist is having me do exercises for my back in addition to those for my knee. At almost 9 weeks post op I am sleeping much better now, but my back is still not preop normal.
    • Posted

Can I ask you how you got your arthritis under control? I have DDD, facet arthritis (L4, L5 & S1), 2 bulging discs & an old tailbone break that will act up every now & then. I am managing pain thru meds, epidurals & every year I get a radio frequency ablasion (due for one), plus a lot of rest. I recently had a hysterectomy (5 weeks post op), so everything hurts & can't do much. I hope the surgery helps my back pain some. I am also in desperate need of a new bed (we have a 10 yr old piece of crap that you adjust by number).

• Posted

My arthritis is not nearly as bad as yours. I have a bed with the hardest mattress you can buy and use a heating pad when I sleep in addition to taking prescribed anti-inflammatories and doing back stretches. Nothing is perfect but this all helps quite a bit.
  • Posted

That's so sad to hear. Back ache is one of the most discomforting issues. I don't know whether this soluion works or not, but for many people, changing their mattress had really made a big difference. If your mattress is too old, and sinks often, I would suggest you to buy Tuft and Needle. It's one of the most rated mattresses online for back ache relief. There are many blogs and forums, wherein people have appraised this mattress for giving relief from back and knee pain.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.