I heard that Ankylosing Spondylitis is present for ten years before diagnosis. Can we validate this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a military vet and I want to apply for Disability benefits. I want to show that the disease was present during my time in the service. Can anyone help validate the information I heard?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It does take time to finally get diagnosed withAS . You might have had symptoms for years but not diagnosed.

If you were in a physicians care with these symtoms of AS you certainly can validate the onset.

I would think you'd have to have written confirmation though.

I wish you good luck with getting the disability you deserve and thank you for serving your country.

• Posted

Thank you very much! :-)

Yes I do need written conformation. I'm hoping to find a source with that info rather than needing to see my rhumy. That's a full day back and forth.

• Posted

Hi Edward...it is my understanding that AS is worsened by certain activity or strain on your spine. Not sure if the medical examiners would agree though.  It could have been made much worse by your stint in the services. I would think that the condition would make you eligible for disabitiy benefits....good luck.
  • Posted

There is normally a delay in diagnosis as the illness unfolds. Can u remember at what age your problems started ? Probably a stiff sore back
    • Posted

Certainly, I first remember having a hard time sitting in chairs at school. My low back hurt enough that I actually had to see a physical therapist. But I was just labeled a drug seeker and not taken seriously.
    • Posted

It does take awhile to diagnose only because other doctors are unaware of this desease. And many Rheumetlogists were unaware till more recently. You need the blood test and the definitive sacrum X-ray.

I was a professional ballet dancer and always thought I hurt because of my profession but no it was AS. Still didn't get diagnosed till adulthood after my second baby. So had AS from birth but didn't know it. I really don't think there's a definitive time frame to be diagnosed but I wish I had known as early as when it started instead of being told it was in my head ! Haha or the ballet!

Hope this helps!??Courtney

• Posted

Sounds like the start of AS. It gets underdiagnosed
    • Posted

Hi Courtney, you have just echoed the voice of so many of us....Undiagnosed...unknown..etc. It's all in the head one doctor said to me. Here in Bali very few doctors understand the issues of AS.( some have never heard of it )..maybe that's a global problem. I'm so sad for you...a ballet dancer...it must be doubly traumatic for you, having once been so lithe. Don't dance the "Swan Lake"...fight it and hang in there, we are here to empathise and help if we can..Hugs...G

• Posted

PS .... Your rheumatologist should work with you on this and help you to get benefits you deserve. There's no proof of prior diagnosis but I had mine (AS) from birth just by looking at X-ray.

It's up to your doctor to help you with benefits. He or she shouldn't be reluctant. Have them help you say it very well could have begun at a young age with the X-ray findings

We all need to help each other . What's a letter to the VA stating that! Really. Good luck

• Posted

Rheumatologist can be called and fax the info !!!
  • Posted

I never heard of AS until I was diagnosed in 2008. Until then, and 3 back surgery, I had no idea why the what AS is. Be careful, in 2012 I could no longer work so I took early retirement. Big mistake!! I should have claimed disability. They reduced my benifits by 25%. IF I had clained disability I would receive the whole amount. Don`t do what I did, talk to someone in the know. 

Good luck

Hickory

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually already on disability. Since 2009 I've not worked. I have a strong case for the VA, but I'm really trying to add as much info as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.