Topamax for CRPS TYPE II

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone ever used Topamax for CRPS Type II? If so, how did it work for you? Side effect? Were you able to take it while on opiods and muscle relaxers? Was it worth risking all the side effects??

I'm having a terrible CRPS flare and scrambling to find something to give me some relief! I have an intrathecal pain pump with Morphine and Clonidine. This worked somewhere for me until I had to have another back surgery in February. It was considered an emergency surgery or I would not have let anybody touch me with a knife, especially on my back as I have had too many lumbar surgeries to count!

It's like I'm starting all over with the constant burning, sensitivity to any touch, shooting bolts of electricity, creepy crawly feeling, spasticity and leg going "jelly" on me.

I understand that any trauma to my body can cause the CRPS to spread or even become worse, if possible! The surgery was necessary to prevent me being paralyzed from the waist down.

Any who, any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 & 1/2 years of living this never ending nightmare,

Browneyes

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have not tried topomax for my crps 2 , Gabapentin at the highest dose is what I use and I now have a nerve stimulator that's Sends waves of electricity through my arm and hand to mask my pain. Do I still have pain yes I do but nowhere near as Extreme as it is without my stimulator and my Gabapentin if I forget to take my Gabapentin I definitely know it. If you do decide to use the Topamax I'd love to know the result it's always good to learn results from other people to find out what may I help you. I wish you luck

• Posted

Hello, I have tried Topamax but as soon as I started taking it my arms and hands began to tingle severely. Found out thats one of the side effects. Not everyone will have the side effects, but it was too much for me. Good Luck.
  • Posted

browneyes58, I don't have CRPS myself, but my son does and right now he is taking Lyrica 50mg and he takes B-12 about 4 times a day, he takes one with each meal and one at bedtime. He also takes Ibuprophen/Benadryl as a daily regiment 3-4 times a day as the Benadryl helps with swelling and the Ibuprophen helps flush swelling out through the blood stream. As a Mother with a child with CRPS, I am constantly doing research to see what kinds of things have helped other people and I am about to start him taking Vitamin C as I have heard it's suppose to help your immune system. It is aweful that this horrible disease has taking away from so many as to have the body actually be fighting itself. I'm so sorry for the pain that all CRPS people are living with and you would think after 100 years somebody would've paid enough attention to have a cure or at least have something that would help with the pain and severe sensitivity of CRPS. I wish you luck with finding something to help put your body at ease at least keep us updated on what you find out, & God Bless you and I wish you all the best with finding answers as to what helps you deal with this horrible disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.