How to rest the hip?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I've had a hip problem for a few years now and it recently got really bad. From what little my physiotherapists (yes, I have two because my first one rn out of ideas) can gather, I have muscle weakness in my glutes, maybe some tightness in my hip adductors, inflammation and I'm guessing probably tendinitis or some such condition in my hip flexors, impingement somewhere (snapping hip), and trochanteric bursitis.

I've been on curcumin for a while since taking ibuprofen every day for  months was obviously giving me stomach ulcers. I've now been given Naproxen as well. Of course, I had to specifically ask for it, just like i had to ask for an x-ray. I actually asked for an MRI but they said no.

Anyway, my question is if anyone has found anything that is particularly useful in reduction of pain or swelling? Is it better to lie down or sit upright in a chair? I'm not allowed to cross my legs anymore lol, physio's orders. I generally have to build myself a throne of cushions to even remotely be able to relax, so if anyone has any tricks for relaxing and resting musles, I'd appreciate it.

I'm very gradually getting my treatments sorted, but it's the regular home life that I just feel like I have no way of dealing with. Does anyone have any kind of routine? Mobility aids? Cold therapy or epsom salts? Just looking for any ideas.

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have tried so many things also.Have not found any Dr. to be particularly helpful.What has helped-TENS unit,about 40.00 dollars on Amazon.Prolotherapy from Accupuncturist slightly helpful.Prolotherapy helped so I was comfortable enough to go to sleep at night-accupuncture-did not feel a difference-Massage-helpful but expensive,really did make muscles feel better.Penetrex-best lotion so far.Bought a second hand electric recliner ,more comfortable for legs not to have to push the stool part down.Using this thing I got as part of hip kit which is making putting socks on so much easier.I also got a "Grabbing thing to pick things off the floor.I also got a sponge on a plastic stick that you can shower with but I like using it for washing things that I would not otherwise be able to reach.So those are my ideas.I alternate Tylenol arthritis,with Ibuprofin 800 mg and Tramadol.Im not happy about that but I have 2 bad hips and had a knee replaced last May so it's been challenging.

• Posted

Thanks, this is helpful. I've been looking at the tens machine since a friendly pharmacist pointed one out. I think that pharmacist was more helpful than any doctor I've seen! I'm so reluctant to say I'm at the point that I need extensive aids and treatments because I'm only 24 and I was active before this brought me down. But it's definitely getting really bad now so I've got to face facts and step up the self care. Thanks!

• Posted

I kept telling my Doc something was up but no one wants to do anything that cost money.Have you seen those cool walking sticks that kind of look like ski polls?Those are cool also .I am on another forum called BoneSmart and I am really shocked at the early ages that this hip stuff messes with people.15 years with a THR,stinks for that poor kid.Sarah has struggled since birth with congenital hip dysphasia.You are young,really young so in my humble opinion you need to be as proactive as possible.Read up on it ,study it,.I hate to say it but Dr.are not that helpful
    • Posted

Yeah I also have a skin condition called hidradenitis suppurativa and you only need to look at that forum for a second to see how useful doctors are for it. You'd be really lucky even to get a definitive diagnosis despite it being a really obvious condition.

From reading other posts on this forum I now think that it's actually gluteal tendonopathy or enthesopathy that I have. I hadn't heard about it before but it explains why I have lots of different problem areas and muscle weakness that Trochanteric bursitis just couldn't explain.

It's so disturbing that I always have to work this out for myself. I like to research things so it's not so bad for me but there must be so many people that go through a lot of mistreatment because their doctors just aren't paying enough attention.

I asked my doctor for an MRI but she immediately vetoed it for an xray... Which isn't going to show bursitis, tendonopathy, muscle weakness, or even impingement. Keep up the good work...

• Posted

My daughter also has the glute muscle weakness, hip abductors,etc. In the beginning when they asked her to squeeze her glutes she could only squeeze right glute. Her left hamstrings would squeeze for her left glute. After many months of therapy her left glute now activates when suppose to. She did dry needling, which would give her some relief. It helped loosen up all those muscles in that area. She's had two MRI s , I would try getting one to rule out any glute tendon tears, which also mimics trochanter bursitis. It showed her glute tendon was fraying off her trochanter bone, which was fixed during her surgery. She is 14, you also being young this is uncommon so there is another problem causing it. Keep talking with Drs, eventually you will find one who will take an interest. It took us many visits, trochanter bursitis is for older people so many Drs aren't sure what to do for it at a younger age. We even heard"how bad it's it? Can't you just deal with it" good luck, just keep with it

• Posted

Iv always found lying down the best, sitting straight messes with my back issues. I dont really know what else to say because atm my entire life is spent either in the house or hospital appointments because i can barely walk haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.