Anything to help make the skin thicker??

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ok, so I am new to LS, just dx by my gyno last month and she gave me estrogen cream to put on every night. I also am using emuaid every morning. I do have a appt with my dermatologist at the end of August. My biggest issue is how to stop the tearing and cuts in the skin between the vagina and anus. I get one healed and then I get another one. What can be done about the thinning of the skin?? 

Also does anyone have it on their anus? I have white patches and itching. I'm worried about the skin fusing together there too. What can be done? It's so fustrating!! Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

As you said, you're still very new to LS, and the best advice I can offer at the moment is be patient and continue to use what you've been prescribed along with the Emuaid (if that seems to be helping).  It will take some time.  Just be very gentle when wiping and use a mild stool softener like Colace if your stools are too hard.  Sex will irritate and tear so make sure you go easy and gentle, and use positions that don't push down in that direction (and make sure you are well lubricated).  

And yes, it's very common for LS to affect the perineum and anus as well as the vulva.  

Trust me, we all understand your frustration!  It's a brutal condition and not very well known, so you won't find many people who understand or empathize outside of these types of forums!  

• Posted

I am new to this also, and had a terrible time - feeling totally ripped up - never ending for 2 months.  But I now have myself on a routine of new habits.  1) I never wipe.  I blot gently for urine.  I gently wipe only the rectum, and if it is really botherin you, I would advise a baby wipe for sensitive skin.  I use Huggies.  It cleans faster with much less friction.  2) Keep everything as dry as possible.  I actually use a hair dryer after cleansing - I use 1 TB baking soda in 1/2 gallon water twice daily - just splash.  It feels really good after I do it.  It occured to me that we use disposable baby diapers on our babies because they wick moisture away from the skin.  Femine pads like Always do the exact same thing.  I am trying to find a panty liner that works as well.  3) Aloe gel can soothe irritation.

4)  I use AD & D ointment to protect the whole area from urine.  It is now going to be my lifelong habit because once I get it under total control, I never ever want it to get bad again.  5)  Reduce stress.  I am working on relaxation techniques and mindfullness.  ie - enjoying the sound of the birds - whatever ticks your relaxation box.  Hope this helps.  It is helping me !   

• Posted

I can recommend Tena lights or minis for comfort

and wicking they are designed for incontinence at a

variety of levels.

• Posted

Are any of these wide enough that they won't fold in on the edges and rub? I have to be very active every day and find the rubbing and irritation is a problem.

• Posted

I have found that an estrogen cream helps to 'beef up' the skin of the vulva and make it less fragile. It doesn't work on the skin of the anus. 

What I've found works best for the anus is to keep regular (no straining during bowel movements) and avoiding loose stools.  When I had problems there, I found keeping it scrupulously clean was necessary. As the skin was so fragile, I used Cetaphil cleanser on toilet paper to cleanse instead of dry wiping. 

I changed my diet initially to stop the symptoms of the vulva, however what I found as a secondary payoff, was the diet keeps me amazingly regular. It's the anti-inflammatory diet usually recommended for lichen sclerosus: no gluten, dairy, and low sugar.  Exercise and lots of water are also very helpful. 

I also buy the most luxurious toilet paper I can find. 

• Posted

I am finding that rinsing with salt water after using the washrom helpful. I make it myself and keep it in the bathroom in a squeezable squirt bottle. Sometimes I blot dry with toilet paper but even better is using a blowdryer. Then I slather (gently)  with castor oil. I'm also finding that using my hand held shower head directly on my lady parts is wonderful. I use qite warm water with a long and give it all a thorough lavage once or twice a day. I use a non-soap product called cetaphil to cleanse. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.