giant hiatal herina

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been told that I have a Giant hiatal hernia its moved high in my chest.  I need a operation  Im 13 stone and I must lose weight,  but I dont eat because  I have an issue with my throat as I get food trapped and also need a repeat  throat operation 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Jocelynne

i had a giant hiatus hernia and had the operation. In the months before the operation I lost weight just because I had trouble eating. I would eat a little food and felt full quickly. I just wasn't hungry and lost 15 pounds. I had so much gas and indigestion. I walked a lot as sitting made me uncomfortable. I was very worried as I knew the stomach up in my chest could twist . The operation saved my life . I feel good now .

judy

• Posted

Hi Judy  are you in the UK ?  I have been told in September I must have a tube put down my throat, so they can see where the hernia is,  Im scared to have this done as Im 62 and I suffer from acid reflux all the time  at night I am sitting up but often slide side ways when I sleep then wake up spluttering from my nose and burning in my mouth and throat. I also suffer from food getting stuck on what I call a ledge in my throat (mad I know)  but I can be eating and then bang I get the next mouth ful stuck,  only way to dislodge it is to cough into a tissue.. sorry  I also suffer from Stevens  Johnson which makes my mouth and gumms so painful, I cant eat spicy food, or use Ketchup or pepper/vinager.  So may be the areas all connected  can any one out there tell me  am I the only one with all three problems???
  • Posted

Jocelynne,

i had the tube put down my throat. They sedate you so you don't gag and then they know what they are dealing with. They call it conscious sedation but you are not conscious. You wake up after and don't remember it happening. I was 67 when they did it and am now 70. I am in Canada. I think all your symptoms are connected and the scope will help you get the relief you need because then they can get the right treatment. Your throat isn't sore after. 

Judy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.