Incontinence after operation

Posted , 3 users are following.

My problem is unusual, in that I had an operation nearly 11 years ago for the rfemoval of a sacral cyst.  It was a very large one and unfortunately it has left me with double incontinence.  I'm also paralysed at the lower end of the spine (I believe it's called the cauda equina).  I find that if I walk too much (which is difficult given the paralysis) the bowel just evacuates freely.  Has anyone else on this site have this problem, and is there any operation which renerates the nerve ends?  I find the whole situation very embarrassing as I have to know where public toilets are.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I know exactly how you feel. I have faecal incontinence which seemed to happen out of the blue for me. I have virtually no feeling in my anal sphincter and my bowel contents literally fall out. I also suffer frequently from diarrohea since having my gall bladder removed 20 years ago. I have has several surgeries in my abdominal area, had two C sections with my children 30 years ago, an ectopic pregnancy and a hystectomy 19 years ago. The Docs are not sure if i have nerve damage from all the adhesions caused by surgryor just unlucky as i am getting older, i am 63. Had a sacral nerve stimulator inserted 6 years ago but it has done nothing to improve my situation. Fear of having an accident has ruled my life. My hubby has been going on holiday alone for ten years. Several accidents were bad and i was called dreadful names once which is very distresssing. Wearing nappies does not help psychologically at all. I have sort of been told i may need a colostomy, have you been offered such??? I am just scared of more surgery.Nerves sadly are one of the only cells that when damaged cannot repair themselves. I think they will find a solution in the future for spinal paralysis, we all have to hope.

• Posted

Thank you, Susan, for responding so quickly.  I'm sure all your operations in the abdominal area couldn't have helped your situation.  I've never been offered the choice of a sacral nerve stimulator.  Maybe it wouldn't help my situation.  I don't want to go down the road of a colostomy, but maybe it would be cleaner.  I know what you mean about dreading having accidents.  I belong to a walking group and have had a couple of embarassing accidents when we finish the walk.  I've got round that by not eating too much the day before.  I too dislike having to wear continence pads.  I'm also have bladder incontinence but that at least is bearable.  I hope some day they will find a cure for spinal paralysis.  Thanks again for your input.

• Posted

Consider a colostomy.

Scary, yes. But talk to a physician. I had a ostomy after having some plumbing work done. The gut's not right after the takedown and restoration. I miss the reliability and control.

• Posted

No, as indicated it was taken down. Life was better with the ostomy. Much better. More control. No pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.