Tell me what your symptoms are

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm interested in firsthand experiances of what threadworms/pinworms feel like.

For the last week or two, i started to notice a slight tingling itch, but just barely around my anus. From biology class i know this is the main symptom of pinworms/threadworms.

I immediately freaked out and read everything i could about them, and am now half a week into a no carb diet, changing sheets every night, and wearing nothing but tight fitting compression shorts.

I have 3 questions/problems though.

One, can i take over the counter pinworm medication if i have no proof of infection/will there be side effects?

Two, half the sites i read say pinworms are incurable, the other half say medicines fix them easily. Which is it?

Three, how do i even know this is pinworm? I haven't seen any indevidual worms in my stool/i don't know what to look for.

The majority of the time, i feel the same itch, just on other random parts of my body(arms, legs, feet, torso, even butt cheeks/thighs where the worms apperently wouldn't go.) And after looking directly at spots where i feel something, there isn't anything there.

(We recently watched my uncle's dog for two weeks, and it brought fleas to our house. I'm alergic in that it hurts about the same way mosquitos do when the fleas bite me, and the feeling of them crawling on me is symilar to the first feeling i described. )

What i'm gettng at is that every time i feel the tingling itch, it's either a flea or nothing. I haven't seen any worms.

The symptoms don't happen exclusively at night, it seems random, if not more prevalent durring the day.

If i don't think about it, it seems to go away slightly, but if i focus on it, it happens in random spots almost constantly.

I'm 70% convinced it's me over reacting to fleas, but i want to make sure.

Additionall info: i'm in the usa where prevalance is about 12%. I have a 8 year old sister, which is aperently a vector.

Tldr: please describe the symptoms you have experienced if you have pinworm/threadworm (including how bad the itch was, how frequently it happened, and any other relevant details.)

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had the same experience. The itch was really annoying for me, but the itch reduced after a few days, and then I started to feel wrigglling - which was so awkward for me! I took a tape test - I put a tape on anus, left it there for a few hours - preferably you should put the tape on at night because they are supposed to be most active. your supposed to leave the tape on for a few hours or overnight and when you check the tape your supposed to check and see if there are any white flakey things - which I did. anddd a few days later i saw a pinworm/threadworm not sure exactly in my toilet paper wiggling aftet I had washed myself dwon there sad. You may be able to see it or you might not - it just depends. you may see it in your faeces so keep a look out. The worms are white almost like rice but thinner. Hope that helps!

• Posted

Also I felt itchiness in the anus near the beginning mainly at night, but then i felt the wriggling throughout the day - not just at night.
    • Posted

If you had to rate it on a scale of itchyness, (1 being a slight breeze feeling, 5 being an insect bite or rash, 10 being stinging nettles, chemical burns, or the worst itch you've ever had) what would you rate it?

• Posted

I don't feel wriggling or at least I don't think I do. Where does it wriggle? Your stomach or your anus? And does it just feel like a squirming worm or something? And are you aloud to go swimming if you have pinworms?

• Posted

For me the itchiness was a 6ish but it was a very noticeable itching. and the wriggling was in the anus only around night time. Do a tape test if your worried about having these- place a tape at night on your anus and check for white flakes in morning- thatl be eggs.
  • Posted

There are labs which test for pinworm if you have symptoms, but I think you don't. You also are assuming these would  not crawl to the butt cheeks, but they can. The tingling itch sounds like something else to me, and you seem (sorry) a little obsessed with it, which itself can give you symptoms. The itch itself is more like a burning itch than a mosquito or flea itch ( I'm allergic also)

You can take a piece of scotch tape and touch it to your anus first thing in the  morning and after a bowl movement (say 20 minutes later), and if you see tiny thread=like whitish short lines, you need to report to a doc. Don't treat yourself unless you really have them. Fold the tape over, put it in an envelope and show it to the doc, otherwise it doesn't seem real to the practitioner.

Good Luck

• Posted

Don't freak out. Me having them on and off from the past 3 weeks, I know the scare and the feeling. It probably just itches because you didn't wipe enough after using the bathroom. They are curable I'm pretty sure. Just in case I would start eating cloves of garlic just I case they are just beginning to come in. The garlic kills both the worms and eggs. The medicine only kills worms and not eggs. The eggs will hatch later on and you will have the same problem. The worms have a life span of 6 weeks and the eggs hatch after 2 weeks

• Posted

Did you ever come to a conclusion/solution to your problem?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.