Simvastatin - leg pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been to my Drs today due to severe pain in calves, when walking and bad pain in thighs even at rest, did think some of it was restless legs, but as pain increased decided to go to drs, had a blood test to see if simvastatin has caused any problems, worried now.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,shefx...I took several diferent statins over the years...at first I was fine....then when taking atorvastatin I had pain and weakness in my arms.....I then took simvastatin and eventually I couldn't walk upstairs  I felt terrible and felt as if I had no thigh muscles

?so weak....after blood tests gp said everything was fine....I decided to stop the statins immediately ,after a while ..almost 6 years now since I binned them...I do feel somewhat better...the muscle weakness improved almost as soon as I stopped them I do still have aches and pains..but as I am now over 70yrs it might just be age related...but I do think that the longer you take statins the more damage they cause and it might not be reversible...and it's not just muscles aches ...there's memory loss...type 2 diabetes...if you read the replies on these forums....and then judge for yourself....you could stop taking them for a couple of weeks to see if the calf pain improves....good luck

• Posted

CoQ10 help with my memory lisa, muscles are still weak. It's been 2 years now. Dr's of course wont agree that statins cause anything. 2 so far have just said don't believe what you read on the internet.

• Posted

My husbands doc wont admit it,my doc wont say they do but its the first thing he had me quit when i had neuropathy symptoms and another doc actually admitted she had patients that had nueropathy from statins and told me to quit. All I keep seeing is new articles on the net claiming statins are a cure all for everything. All I can do is shake my head and wonder how many people will fall for it. Xx
    • Posted

I was at the podiatrist a year ago and a new patient was filling in the form. She said to the receptionist I'm on cholestrol meds but I can't remember what they are called. AND then she said I don't have high cholestrol but the dr said to take them just incase. I nearly fell off my chair. Should I take a couple of panadol every morning just incase I get a headache? it's ludacris

• Posted

my goodness that is so scary....makes the patient think the dr is really caring
    • Posted

I know i debated whether to hang around til she had her appointment and tell her but I thought she probably wouldn't believe me anyhow

• Posted

except she was of an age like my mother that would never dare question a doctor unfortunately
    • Posted

I had a conversation with my aunt last week, she has had diabetes for a while and is now suffering with arthritis like symptoms which she hasn't had before (although she is in her 80's).  She has been on statins for a few years and when I told her why I'd stopped taking mine she said she had to take them because the doctor told her too and she has to do what he says! She said she forgot her tablet once and had a dizzy spell the next morniing so now that's what she thinks will happen if she stops taking them.

• Posted

Sounds like my mother lisa, Dr said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't change them sad

• Posted

yes Lisa...in years gone by we could depend on our gp to do his best where out health was concerned.....it wasn't all about money then....nobody would have thought to question him...

• Posted

The test doesnt always show. If it keeps up,my husbands doc took him off of it for a few months to see if it went away. Just an idea. I hope you feel better. Xx
    • Posted

I quit simvistatin. No problem for a year with me,then i had nueropathy and muscle issues. My blood test showed nothing. Stopped the statin,a few months later,felt better. 3 years for all symptoms to leave. But Id been on it a year. I was on low dose too. 10 mg.
  • Posted

Be very careful, that is how my peripheral neuropathy started. I had regular blood tests and because the focus was on cholesterol levels nothing else showed up. i would ask your GP to investigate your problem more thoroughly. And don't be put off it is vital to your health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.