I've got hyper mobility syndrome and for the last 2 weeks my hips have been really bad.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hyper mobility syndrome 3-4 years ago, it started off with my hips and now my back, shoulders and knees are having problems, but for the past 2 weeks my hips have been so bad.. Especially my left hip. It started of with a little bit of pain and now it's got to the point where I can barely walk and sometimes it causes me to lose balance or even fall over. Has anyone got any advice, I'm on a 6 month waiting list to start physio again and I've got painkillers but they aren't helping. I'm really struggling to walk and stand.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi usually in women hip pain is worse when your period is due this is because your ligaments become more lax because of hormones. I never work mine out, I know when I'm due on because of the pain that I'm in. Sometimes different contraception makes pain worse. It's really important that you keep active and don't let your muscles get weak as you can't improve ligament laxity so you need your muscles to support your wobbly joints. Try and prevent using a stick because they can be the cause of scoliosis (curvature of the spine) . When something is out of alignment it sets something else off. For 15 years I was treated for pain in my knee, then I discovered it was coming from my back. Try and get a referral to a podiatrist if you have wobbly feet as they can prescribe insoles. Good luck

• Posted

Hello sam38459

I've already got scoliosis in my back and my hips are tilted. I'm 19 which kind of sucks, I try and keep active as much as I can but have been told I'm not allowed to the gym. But about the contraception, I have recently had the implant fitted so maybe that isn't helping with the pain.

• Posted

Yes that is probably what is causing your extra pain. I had the same problem with the implant. I was OK on the coil but it kept stabbing my partner which was great contraception! I think hormones play a massive part with hypermobility. When I was pregnant with my first child I had no pain while I was pregnant. I've been in pain since the age of 16 , I'm 42 now. It's really tough when you're so young. Hopefully you will find something that will work for you.

• Posted

Yeah I didn't agree with the coil and wow really! Bless you that's such a long time to be dealing with it. Thankyou for the reply

• Posted

Hi Seren81986, my daughter has EDS-H/CFS and has had physio for the osteoarthritis in her hips,due to the laxity of the tissue not supporting the hip joint its been rubbing and causing pain. She suffers with feet(very flat-due to EDS) wobbly ankles,knees......has always had pain in all these joints, but was sent to podiatrist for insoles which are being made up....(her second pair)......this has made a huge difference to her posture which has a knock on effect of how her ankles,knees and hips line up....do hope you get something sorted soon.
  • Posted

Hi I'm 51. Had joint hyper mobility syndrome diagnosed at 17. Not much was known about it in NZ back then. I later found out I also had hip dysplaysia. From trial and error I can say that being on the pill helped quite a lot. Being pregnant was ok to.

Swimming and static bike helped the most. Tried my best to keep muscles toned but with low impact.

Dealing with pain that is endless is another matter entirely. Each person is different there.

I managed ok over the years. Kept my hip replacement away till this year.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.