Scan........

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, was just wondering if anyone really knows the answer to this as I've been getting a lot of mixed information on Google. Since January maybe before ive had theses swollen lymph nodes on my neck there's 4 or 5 I can feel my mine worry is some type of lymphoma.I've been the the doctor multiple time with them. Now the doctor is sugesting a scan (ultrasound type) as I've had them so long. There roughly bean sized maybe slightly larger. I am not asking whether or not I could possibly have lymphoma as I've had previous threads for that but my question IS....

will this scan detect if I do have lymphoma? I mean I know it'll show my swollen lymph nodes up but I know there enlarged already I thought a biopsy can only truly show lymphoma? ???

Can anyone shed a little light on this has anyone had a scan on there neck lymph nodes and caused docs concern?

Any help I would be grateful for Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma, I believe we've spoken before. I am in remission from lymphoma, DLBCL, and had scans. Initially they removed the largest lymph node for biopsy and that was how my cancer was diagnosed. I also had cat scans, MRI and a PET scan. The most reliable is the PET scan. Radioactive dye is injected into a vein in your arm and about an hour later a scan is taken. Any cancer glows so they know exactly where it is. The scan is not dangerous and there are no adverse after effects. I am a little surprised that you are not having a biopsy. Keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi joy yes we have spoken before.. I haven't been offered a biopsy but should have an appointment for the scan in the next few weeks will a scan actually show something like lymphoma its only an ultrasound type like what you have during pregnancy on my neck im really unsure this will determine what the swollen lymph nodes are can this type of scan show if there cancerous (if they are) as i thought only a biopsy could do this? I know you have scans ect after lymphoma has been diagnosed to see the extent but surely scan arent used too diagnose it??

I also have to have an chest x Ray tomorrow unsure why though will this help at all

Thank you joy.... Emma

• Posted

Hi Emma. All an ultrasound will show is where there are swollen lymph nodes in the body, not if they are cancerous or not, only a biopsy would do this. It's time to be assertive and tell your doctor that you want a biopsy done and you want it done urgently. Hospitals treat suspect cancer cases quickly and this is what you need. If your doctor refuses you have options. You could demand a second opinion or see another GP at your own practice, you could go online and ask where you can contact a Service for Patients to get Advice and Liaise or you could go to your local hospital A&E and present them with your symptoms. Whichever you choose do it now! The quicker a diagnosis is made the quicker treatment starts and the quicker you can get better! Let me know what happens. x

• Posted

I have just had my chest x ray going to wait and see if that shows anything should hear within a week as I've bad some chest pain recently. I know I have a scan in about 4 weeks but whilst at the docs next week for my results I will push for I biospy. Been a bit of a nightmare just to get to this point but at least the balls starting to roll now. I thought I had about 4 or 5 swollen nodes but when examined yesterday by my doctor he found another one at the back of my neck in my hair line and 3 on my right side of neck (I just thought they were on the left side) I've also found one on my low stomach (trouser line area) the doctor did say yesterday that there only a 1cm in size so didn't seem to be too worried.. either way I'd like the biopsy done though. Due to go on holiday next weekend think I need it lol. Thank you for your advise Joy. I will keep you updated and post mid next week take care x

• Posted

Enjoy your holiday Emma. The smaller the lymph nodes at the time of diagnosis the better, you must push for that biopsy, especially as more have been found. Have your holiday, recharge your batteries and let battle commence!!
    • Posted

I will defiantly push for that biopsy, just quick update that my chest x ray was clear although that doeant really stand for anything.
    • Posted

Anything that comes back clear or normal is good news! Keep in touch, I'm thinking about you x.

• Posted

Hi Emma, my daughter was referred for an urgent ultrasound of a swollen lymph node on her neck last Friday.  The radiologist could tell from the scan pictures the size of the node and how blood flow is in and around the node.  However, he said the only way to be really sure of the diagnosis is to have sample tissue removed, so my daughter also had a core biopsy done, with 5 samples taken for analysis.  We are currently awaiting the results.  Having said that, we have been advised that clinical signs are that the node is very likely benign and that the swelling is reactive following glandular fever.  Fingers crossed.  Hope all goes well for you, but if you want to put your mind at rest, I would ask for a biopsy, if I were you xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.