Supraspinatus full thickness tendon tear - surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I injured my shoulder about 18 months ago and suffered a full thickness tear to the supraspinatus muscle, The surgeon is going to attempt a repair but said that part of the repair will be the cutting of the biceps tendon to avoid further pain later on. He said this doesn't reduce functionality but I have done some research and there will be weakness in that arm. Is this step really necessary? Grateful for advice.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

Sorry I can't answer this but I am having similar issues. Gradually since March my shoulder has got to the point I can't sleep or was and dress myself as my left arm hurts too much on certain movement, there is now pain permanently but it's worse when I move it. I had an ultrasound on both shoulders as the other one hurts too but not as bad, ultrasound showed bursitis of sub something so GP gave steroid injection into my left one, didn't work so gave second injection now sending me for an mri to see what's going on. I'm worried as he said I'm showing muscle loss in my left shoulder too. How did you find out about tear as nothing showed on my left shoulder only my right so GP assumed it was same issue on both but said if there is a lot of inflammation then damage wouldn't show on ultrasound. The only thing I recall is an incident when hubby twisted my arm and caused soft tissue damage in forearm and I'm wondering if it was that or if this is simply shoulder arthritis as I already have arthritis in spine knees and both wrists

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your injury. Shoulders can cause a lot of grief because they are a comparatively loose joint and things can go wrong more easily. The pain sent me to the doctor eventually and an ultrasound showed the damage. However, the surgeon also sent me for an MRI and an xray which confirmed the injury. He said an MRI was more definitive but the ultrasound was already correct.

Was it the subscapularis tendom that he mentioned for your injury?

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply. It was bursitis he mentioned in right shoulder and assumed it was the same in left but it didn't show in ultrasound in left only in right shoulder but left arm is unbearable actually making me nauseous with this horrible pulling sensation which feels like something hanging

• Posted

Perhaps the left shoulder has an impingement but it should have shown on an ultrasound. I can only suggest you get a second opinion. I can recount at least one ocassion where I wish I had got a second opinion for my wife but I didn't and it cost her about 30% of her vision and a lot of pain and suffering. So go for another consultation with someone else. It's your health!

• Posted

Thanks and really sorry to hear about your wife. Im having mri this Sunday so really hoping something shows in that otherwise this will unfortunately be caused by my damage discs in my neck
  • Posted

This may be necessary but you need to ask how he is going to do it as there are 2 ways.

1. Tenodesis - where the longhead of the bicep is detached from the glenoid labrum and reattached to the humerus. I've had this and it's without complication.

2. Tenotomy - where the longhead of bicep is detached but not reattached. It just drops. The shorthead of biceps is still attached so it still works. You may get some weakness and you're bicep will look like Popeye's (look up Popeye Bicep).

Ask for option 1. If you're not given a choice, ask why not, before giving consent.

When I had mine done I made it clear before operating that I did not want a Tenotomy.

• Posted

It was option 2. I wasn't given option 1 and I didn't know anything about Tenodesis until I was doing some research later on. He said the only side effect would be a cosmetic change to the look of the arm with a more prominent biceps muscle but the pictures I have seen are more like a deformity. I am going to ask the surgeon about it but I am in the public health system and I don't know if I am entitled to option 1. I know it takes a lot longer and is more complicated.

• Posted

It's not that complicated. One anchor or a screw at the top of your humerus. Very little complication.

• Posted

Thanks, I am seeing the surgeon again and I will be asking him about it then. They do it for younger more active people but older and sedentary people get the bicep cut. I am still fit and healthy with no other medical problems but 67 years old. I can put up with the pain so if I'm not given the option I may not have any operation at all.

• Posted

Hi

I had an mri on Sunday got call today from GP to be told I have a fractured shoulder with fluid so off to fracture clinic in the morning. Over 3 months of pain 2 steroid injections as told it was bursitis and I have not had a fall but did suffer a soft tissue injury in forearm shortly before pain sorted. Having a bone density scan soon to check for osteoporosis

• Posted

I am dealing with the same issue. A full thickness tear of the supraspinatus. Been thoroughly researching (scr surgery)Superior capsular reconstruction. If you research it it's a complicated operation that demands some of the best surgerical skills. It's also a new procedure to deal with this problem. Not many drs have done more than 20 of them in Their practice which, is nothing in the surgery world. I recommend researching your doctor carefully and seek the best you can afford or travel to. I am in the process of doing this now, I am not a newcomer to surgery on the shoulder as well. Sometimes they leave the bicep tendon alone, don't know which one is better. u need to ask your surgeon. I want to speak to someone who had scr done with success. And who is a person with the active lifestyle such as working out, sports and whatever. Luckily I live near New York City to some of the best surgeons.

• Posted

Superior Capsule Reconstrution is for complete/massive and irrepairable tears of the supraspinatus.

Only if your tear is massive would I look at this. There is also something called GraftJacket that is a human allograft that can be used to repair very large tears. I would look at this first as it saves your supraspinatus; the scr proceddure ditches your supraspinatus which sounds bizarre to me.

You can research surgeons in your area that use GraftJacket here: http://www.wright.com/find-a-physician

• Posted

I'm in the Queensland public health system. Unless I found some one to do it overseas there isn't any way I could afford private treatment for SCR here in Australia. It was never mentioned in my interview with the surgeon. The bicep tendon cut was listed as an option but from his talk it is what he intended to do. I had a call today from the hospital and there is no more interviews with the surgeon until the day of surgery. Probably a couple of months away.

• Posted

Hi. Sparkey

Did you end up having your biceps cut or not I am trying to avoid it.

I am due,to have Surgery next week but reluctant to have Tenotomy or Tenodesis

• Posted

I had no problems with my Tenodesis nor with my ACJ resection which I think you've also been asking about.

I've had other issues with my rotator cuff but not with biceps surgery. If you can get the surgeon to do a tenodesis, it'll be fine. If they won't do what you ask without good reason, go to another surgeon.

• Posted

Not yet, it is probably a couple of months away. From what I've read tenodesis is better but the recovery time is longer. The chefshat may give you first hand information. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.