Has anybody had a epidural for sciatica?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been going through an extremely intense bout of sciatica. Horrible pain in my back and entire leg, all the way to my ankle. Lots of tingling, burning, horrifying pain that's debilitating and leaves me unable to walk.

Friday I am going to see an orthopedic doctor, as my general physician was not able to help me. He prescribed oral steroids and muscle relaxers which did absolutely nothing.

I'm thinking the next step will possibly be the nerve blocking spinal epidural. Has anybody ever had one? Of so how does it work and what happens? It seems terrifying having a needle stuck into your spine and I am not prepared for it, yet willing to do it if it will bring me relief.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yeah I had that and I had the nerves burnt which aggravated it and made it worse. Steroids improved it but another lot I had made it worse. If you do have it done make sure you have sedation, some Dr's sedate you, some don't. It's very painful without it. I was on fentynyl patches with morphine sulphate and oramorph as well as codeine and it didn't touch it. It might help you, some people react differently. Mine improved when I had my SI joint fused and after recent prolapse surgery which I didn't realise was linked to sciatica.

• Posted

What do you mean when you say you had the nerves burnt??
    • Posted

It's called nerve ablation I think, it was a long time ago and the idea is to cut out the nerve supply so they are not so live and active but obviously not enough so you can still walk but it just made them more live and my pain was more intense ever since. It was my biggest regret. Stick with the epidural If you do decide to have anything done as that is more successful. It didn't work for me but it didn't make it worse.

• Posted

Oh yea, I'm talking about the shot you get in the spine, not any sort of cutting or burning. Scared me for a second!

• Posted

Yes, I was inject cortisone by epidural a few times and it works greatly! 6 weeks of relief at least
    • Posted

They usually inject cortisone together with anesthetic. The anesthetic acts quickly, whereas the cortisone can take a few days to kick in. I usually start to feel the benefits of the cortisone after 24hrs from the epidural
    • Posted

That's still better than continuing to suffer? What symptoms were you having before you went in for the shot? I cannot walk in the morning as the pain is so intense and burning. Sleeping is horrible for me. However after 600 mg of ibuprofen it takes the pain from a 12/10 to a 9/10. I was on Prednisone steroids for 6 days and they did absolutely nothing.

• Posted

I couldn't stand or walk for more than a few minutes, couldn't push a cart at the supermarket, couldn't iron, cook, my social life was deeply affected. No pain if I was sitting or in bed. For sure you should try an epidural, in the worst case you'll be as before, but I doubt. It's not painful at all, takes just a few minutes and then they keep you about 1 hour to check everything is OK

• Posted

An MRI can tell the Doctor was us causing the nerve pain. Most likely collapse of discs. There is so much to do to get relief but not always so spinal disc surgery would be the next step.
    • Posted

I disagree with over the last 6 years I've had 4 mri's L5/S1 discectomy + revisional one 12 months later.I have had cortisone injections, Facit injections and epidurals.Now after various neurosurgeons opinions and pain clinics etc.I have had enough. They say I have ddd and another one said it's scar tissue. Last second opinion was a professor /nuerosurgeon who said in his opinion any more operations would leave me in a wheelchair so which one is right? 1 am on 200g of gabbapentin which eases the pain some but I think there is a nerve damaged or trapped as my back gets swollen the more I go out.Even on my mobility scooter but especially when I put pressure on my left leg.I spend most of my time ombusman my bed.I also take 400mgs tramadol,150 mgs diclofenac and 400mgs of zomorph. They say there is nothing more they can do and have sent me to a psycologist.So basically I'm doomed unless I had money to go private and they can fit prosthetic disc for about £20,000 or something like that.Sorry for the long winded rant but when you've worked for 30 years and then get thrown on the scrapheap in agony everyday and sometimes take diazapam to get through the day.I suppose it's just getting it off my chest with people in similar boat as me.Dean.

• Posted

Sorry predictive text.That should be 9 x 300mg of gabbapentin. Dean.
    • Posted

Dean.....I am so sorry you are going through that. I can't get answers, and at this point I feel like I would benefit greatly from diazepam because the pain makes me INSANE. I've gained weight because I have not been able to be active, I'm miserable mentally and physically. I don't understand why it's so hard to figure out what's wrong?!?! I've only been dealing with this for about 3 months but I fear I'm creating nerve damage (I've lost feeling in parts of my leg and toes) and I just don't know what to do anymore. I give up.

• Posted

I had sciatic type nerve pain running down to my little toe for several years. I had 6 epidural pain injections which did not work at all. My surgeon was reluctant to do any operation because he was not sure where the problem stemmed from . I agreed with his decision but was angry that no one had an answer. I was then diagnosed ,following an MRI, with stenosis and still get symptoms of that but the main leg pain has been virtually cured by visiting an Osteopath who found that my Psoas muscle was extremely tight and pulling on the vertebrae which in turn caused the pain . After only one session of deep tissue massage, with him I was pain free for a week. I now see him regularly and do simple exercises inbetween and have been able to wean myself off of the 9x300 Gabapentin capsules I was taking daily. I still have a 25mg fentanyl patch but hope to reduce that soon.
  • Posted

Had this injection two weeks ago and just now starting to feel pain relief-consultant who performed this advised me to continue daily exercises to keep spine stretched and more supple-today is best day in about 5 weeks and mobility also improved-I am aged 71 - My physio gave me a set of yoga exercises to do every day and they are definitely a help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.