PCOS, no period, overweight and on Metformin

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone

I was informed I have PCOS last year and it is only now I am doing something about it. Hubby and I are now trying for a baby. When I say trying, we have not used protection for a couple of years and I never gotten pregnant but now we are doing what we can.

Anyway, I have always had irregular periods. More absent than irregular. The last period I had was one year and six months ago.

I went to the doctor and asked them to give me metformin because I had read so many success stories - regulates period, helps with insulin and can bring on ovulation.

I was given a months supply one 500mg tablet each morning with food then to increase them each week.

So after day two of taking them, I came on my period!!! After over a year of not having one.

My questions are:

Is this normal?

Is this a real period?

Do you think I will ovulate? When would be the right time to start tracking to see if I have?

Does anyone have similar/success stories?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey Natty,

To answer your questions, everyone of us has different circumstances when it comes to PCOS.  For me, my periods were very irregular and I have way too much facial hair.  (sad face for me)  However,  I have learned how to manage PCOS by reading everything I can and trying what I belive may work for me.  What I will say is that you should track your ovuation at every period.  I currently take 500 mg of metformin 3x's a day and I also take myo-inositstol 2x's a day.  My periods are becoming more regular and I also ovulate as I should be.  I also found a wonderful doctor here where I live (in Chicago) that really knows how to manage what we have.  Finding a doctor who can assist you and support you is also going to be very key in assisting you with any questions you may have.  I wish you the bset of luck and happy baby thoughts!

Keisha

• Posted

I have also started metformin for those same reasons and started a period the same week I started the mess. My OB said it was normal but she said to wait and see for the next one before ovulation tracking.
  • Posted

Hi, yes if you take metformin you'll have your period. I've been taking it myself for 5months now. And i think it will be quite difficult for you to track your ovulation it's crazy for us pcos women. But you can try taking your basal temperature every morning for like weeks so at least you'll know when is your highest temperature.

• Posted

Hi Natty86, i have pcos too and when i was diagnosed with pcos & put on metformin (extended release) i started of on 88kg and within 4 months i was down to 73kg and within 7 months i was pregnant (up to the individual really).

But i think metformin works well with a half decent diet as well. So for example less refined sugars & refined foods like white rice, bread, flour, pastas & maybe try whole grain foods!!!!

Hope this helped

• Posted

hi i just wanted to know did you get your period in the time you were taking metformin? I  was put on it and its my 4th month of a 6 month prescription and no period has come. i recently started feeling extremely tired and sleeping a lot during the day and at night. my lower abdomen is hard and feels blaoted a little bit. i have been eating a lot and meat is not my favourite anymore. i thought i was pregnant and took a test this morning and sadly it was negetive. i really dont know what to do
  • Posted

I'm taking metformin and having my period. Maybe you should consult your ob and maybe you're not compatible with this med.

• Posted

Hey can you please tell me what doctor you see in Chicago? I love in Illinois and having a hard time finding a good doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.