I'm having the POEM esophageal surgery this Fri, the 29th.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Would love to hear from others that have gone through this surgery, about your recovery and life now.

Thank you!!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't know much about it, but want to wish you the best of luck! Here's hoping you have a successful surgery and a successful outcome.

• Posted

How did your POEM surgery go?
    • Posted

Surgery & recovery went well. Since the end of July, I've gained back 30 of the 40 pounds I'd lost.

I still have problems periodically but nothing like before. Once a week I get sick from eating too fast as compared to 4 or 5 times a meal. I recommend this to help. I went back to work the next week and with a month or so was eating real food again.

Many thanks to this form & others!!!

• Posted

That is great! My surgery is next Tuesday and i can't wait. Did you lose the 40 pounds because of the liquid/soft food diet or had you been losing the weight previous to the surgery?

• Posted

I had lost 40# due to the Achalacia. This time last year, I started getting bad. My gp told me it was acid reflux. After a trip to the emergency room & tests later, my gastrologist diagnosed me. My insurance wouldn't pay for the POEM procedure. I had BCBS through my work. After 3 appeals, the state overturned it.

Long story even longer...through the wait I lost 40#.

I will be praying for you!

• Posted

Thank you! My insurance is also denying POEM but i am not too worried about it. I have had a few conversations with my doctor about it and he mentions he will have to fight them on it. But i really prefer the poem over the heller. Seems like the better choice to me.

So far i haven't lost any weight. I have had my condition for 4 years, but for the past 2 years i have thrown up about 8 times a day and i just keep trying to get the food down. I am very much looking forward to my surgery!

• Posted

I made insurance history in Michigan. First POEM surgery perform that BCBS paid for. If I was on Medicare or Medicaid, no problem. BCBS said POEM was too new & considered experimental.

Please keep me posted! I hope your POEM isn't delayed like mine was.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.