Unbearable pain during periods

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I'm currently on microgynon... I have irregular periods and was diagnosed with pcso last November. Before going on the pill I hardly went on my periods and if I did I never suffered from any pain. For the past months I've been having terrible pain everytime I'm on my periods. I struggle to walk

I feel weak and numb from my waist straight to my feet. Is this normal or is it the pill I'm on causing this pain.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Normal is a funny word. Personally I don't think it's normal for any woman to have excruciating pain during her periods, but it seems to be more common than we realise. In my case I'm not on any pill or medication, I only take pain killers for my period, and it's always been bad since they started at 12, then in my mid 20's they got even more painful. I've had ultra sounds done and nothing was found but I would need to actually have cameras put inside me to check if I have endometriosis.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful about the pill thing. I guess it's something you need to investigate and maybe keep a diary on.

In my experience doctors have tended to play down the side effects of any medications (including the pill).

• Posted

I'm no doctor. But maybe the pill you are on isn't a good one for you. I had to try 4 different kinds before I found one that worked for me. In theory the pill is supposed to eliminate all symptoms of pms (no ovulation, no pms). The Dr gave me one that made my boobs incredible painful! I rubbed them 24/7. One gave me horrible stomach aches!! One did nothing. The one I'm on now worked (worked years ago just fine!) for about 4 months, but now I'm back to 24/7 cramping and bloat. Horrible stabbing pains during my period. Maybe fluctuations in our horomines effect it? I have no clue. My dr just switched mine again! I will be starting it at the end of my current pack...

• Posted

I went to my ob last week. Her daughter was there. Very odd, I've never seen her before. She's a Dr. She was much nicer and way more informative than her mom! Lol so I rolled with it lol.. she told me for a birth control to be effective in pcos, it has to have 30 to 35 ( it was a measurement like emtamenuals or something) of estrogen.. I've never heard that before! I'm going to Google mine to find out what's in it. If I am even taking the right birth control.

• Posted

Hello langa93533,

Have you gone back to your doctor and explained the pain since starting on the pill? Perhaps it's not the right one for you.

I always had very painful periods before and after I was on the pill. I never found the standard painkillers to work for me but I did find that heat helped! I have worked my pill so that my period starts over the weekend and if it's really bad I can just stay at home with a hot water bottle. I also found standard deep heat patches to help (instead odlf sticking it to my back I stick it to my lower belly and that's a lot more descent and potable. I have previously gone on days out with friends and just had to change the heat pad over after a few hours. The only downfall is that heat dilates blood vessels which could make your period heavier.

Hope you get this sorted but if not do try the heat to control the pain.

• Posted

Hi cocopop

I have been to the doctor and has changed my pill I just started it 2 days ago so hopefully it will work ifor not I'll definitely try your method thanks x

• Posted

Fingers crossed then! Hope this resolves your problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.