Peripheral neuropathic pain, sometimes unbearable

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello,

I suffer from increasing nerve pain, started from the big toes in both

feet, then during 5 years spread unto lower legs and even started

in the hands now. It is the "tight sock" feeling constantly plus

needle feeling and electric shocks sometimes.

Only Tramol plus Gaba gives some relief, but i maxed out on this

medications.

Can anybody recommend other drugs or supplements ?

Thank you, Chris

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm waiting for my go to ring me I've tried so many different meds getting fed up now as pain is so severe I can't even sleep will let u know how I get on best wishes

• Posted

Hi Marie,

yes thats exactly my feeling - i get tired to try many different

meds and treatments, I'm trying acupuncture now, until now no effect.

I recommend to you to try antihistamine for sleeping.

Also massive amounts of Vit. B complex and Vit. C ( i use about 3 g

of Vit. C each day) - has no immediate effect but longterm i got the feeling it reliefs

the general condition.

For the pain, Tramol plus gabapentin / pregabalin works for me,

please try to convince your doc to prescribe. Tramol can be

critical for some ppl, it causes constipation and loss of

appatite (what is good in my case, i lost 8 kg).

Hope that helps you a bit, i understand your frustration and pray for you.

• Posted

hi Chris gp has just upped my meds today still awake here with burning pain in feet upped gabapentin and prescribed tramadol not working at the mo did u say tramadol made u lose weight best wishes
    • Posted

I was given amatripaline to help me sleep because I hurt so much and could not sleep
    • Posted

hi Judy I suffer real bad I've had every tablet going I'm waiting for this tramadol to work at the moment can I ask what has happened to u hun

• Posted

I have Cemo induced nurapathy I had Hodgkin lymphoma when I was 26 I am now 46 my legs have been real bad last two years like you they have tried everything to help I take norco for psi it helps now that I take them four times a day
    • Posted

I Ment when I was 16 I have burning and stabbing pains I I have places that are getting numb I stumble sometimes this stuff is awful
    • Posted

Hi Marie,

It's strange that Tamol doesn't work for you - it's the only painkiller that i have discovered  until now. I take about 6 to 10 tabs (50mg) per day, so it's quite maxed out. 

Gabapentin does work for you ?  If also not, then you are probably in desperate need of a painkiller. Doctors are unfortunately reluctant to prescibe hard stuff like Vicodine or Morphine, but i guess that's exactly what could be very helpful. Please let me know when you can find an improvement.

Chris

• Posted

I'm on 600mg gabapentin 3xdaily now tramadol to sleep and duluxetine sleeping a little better but would love a full nights sleep

• Posted

I have Autonomic Polyneuropathy. I had an below knee amputation, also on my right foot, I only have a half foot. Even though they are gone, I still suffer from the pain and burning. It's in my hands and arms, back and breasts as well. I was on neurontin, but gained weight. I now take lyrica and oxcycontin, dilauded. An anti depressant, and roprinerol for restless legs. Not from diabetes. I have a cluster of auto immune diseases, and had a bone infection that resulted in the amputations. Through the years, I've been on many meds. Basically trial and error! I'm a 52 years old female smile

• Posted

Hi Liz,

wow your symptoms look even more severe than mine.

I understand you went through a lot of pain and troubles.

That makes me a bit more humble - i also pondered sometimes

if this neuropathy could be an autoimmune disease.

That would need trearment with alfa interferon - but my doc

doesnt agree, so i didnt get it prescribed.

So i wish you also success and pray for you.

• Posted

Hi Chris, I have taken interferon. Through the 16 years Ive had PN, Ive tried almost every combination of drugs out there. At least most of the time, the zappers (electric shocks!) have been reduced greatly. I take 150 mg Lyrica 3x a day, as well as my other meds. Im waiting patiently for cooler, less humid weather! I also have RA, and when the barometric pressure goes crazy, so does my pain!

Hope you have a great day! My Son lived in Thailand for awhile, as well as South Korea, teaching English smile

• Posted

Hello Liz,

yes, I switched from gaba to Lyrica (generic copy) and i feel better - gaba caused acid stomach for me. 

In addition I tried mild electro therapy, using a small machine from ebay.

I recommend you to try that out - when i used the shoes with electrodes and use electric massage ("press" - "vibrate" - "thumb" ) for 15 mins per day. It seemed to help me and i could reduce Tramol.

And here is the same also - in Thailand it's very humid and i can hardly survive outside, but its still better than in my original country (Germany)

Greetings !

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Chris, if it's the tens unit that you are talking about, I have one. Helps my chronic back problems smile

• Posted

i am taking the max on gabap and i gained 20 lbs my doctor told me it's not one of the side effects. did you get off the drug and did you loose the weight you gained? 

• Posted

Could u explain interferon dose shot?

I'm not that familiar with interferon

In what way did it help?

The shocks. Was that the electrical stimulation? Who does that?

In the breast I have that I can't take it

Should I accept this will never go away? Sorry this is all. New in the upper body and it makes the lower body seem like nothing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.