severe inner thigh muscle spasms

Posted , 108 users are following.

These severe inner thigh muscle spasms are so excruciating I can hardly stand

10 likes, 349 replies

349 Replies

Next
  • Edited

This is TLJ53,I didn't get to finish my original post.when I get these severe inner thigh muscle spasms it is so excruciating I end up crying and wish I could pass out.I found that if I take 2 "Leg Cramps with quinine" pills within a couple minutes I'm good for the night. However when this happened this morning I was out of them.I try to ALWAYS have these in the house.This worked every time I've ever did this except once when I had to take 2 more 4 hours later.usually one dose of 2 tablets and its like a miracle after a couple minutes.if anyone knows why these horrible spasms occur or a better remedy I would be so grateful to hear it.(I have not had any weight loss surgery or take any medications.)

• Posted

How are you taking quinine?  I thought that was removed from the market.  I can't get them from my doctor anymore.  Anyway, I get severe spasms in my inner thighs too, since 1991 actually.  Talk to a physical therapist.  I talked to several before I found one who really seemed to know what it was.  I try to keep my inner thigh muscles stretched.  And before I get out of bed, or roll over in bed, or get up from a nap on the couch I make sure to straighten my legs while pushing my feet outwards.  When I feel that twinge that indicates a spasm is coming on, I sometimes can avoid the spasm with an immediate stretch.  If I don't get it in time, the pain is excruciating and I do cry the whole time.  It seems like they last five to ten minutes.  Sometimes my thigh will be sore for days afterwards.  My therapist called it active insufficiency-muscle contracting while over-shortened.  I sleep in the fetal position and it's hard to believe that the muscles cramp up like that and that I have to stretch to unravel them.  At least that's how I feel about my spasms.  Does any of this sound familar in your case?

• Posted

The pills I buy are over the counter in a little bitty white bottle and the label says"Leg Cramps"with quinine.Sometimes they are hard to find.Like I said there was only one time that they didn't work great,all the other times within a half hour I'm good for the rest of the night although the pain eases enough to stand it within a few minutes. I've been through a lot of pain in my life and this is the most excruciating pain,unbearable!

• Posted

I have not figured out anything as far as stretching or anything that helps me one bit.this last one I just tried not to move until it passed.
    • Posted

I know what you mean.  When mine starts, I am afraid to move until it passes.  But having gotten these now since 1991, I have realized that it is sleeping with bent legs (fetal) and getting up without straightening out the legs first is what causes mine. 
    • Edited

I have MS and my neurologist suggested I use tonic water which contains quinine. It tastes awful but does help. 
    • Posted

I had tried everything from quinine, stretching, magnesium etc., nothing helped then I read about this: put a bar of Irish Spring Original soap at the foot of my bed between the sheets. This has helped. I change the soap every few months and do not use the ones with aloe, only original. Try it. It might work for you. My cramps were primarily at night.
    • Posted

Really? I don't sleep with my legs bent (in that fetal position you spoke of) that would send me through the roof in pain,yet I still have said pains sad

• Posted

Hello Kim1072, I don't have MS however I do have a neurologist ,and I was told to stop using the tonic water and/or leg cramp pills. You're lucky you have something you can take....I have nothing but the pain. I wonder why the doctors are so far apart on this?

• Posted

I found the resolve!!  I use pure Magnesium oil and spray it on the muscle about 1 hour before bed and NO CRAMPS NO MORE!!!!! I went to the vitamin shop and the guy told me he gets them too and he uses the magnesium oil and it works, so I bought some and man what a relief. It has been a couple years now and I now don't have to use it as much. The muscle now gives me plenty of warning that it is going to cramp so I just spray some and rub it in and just like that the slight warning cramp goes away. I have not had to use it now for about a month, but have it on hand just in case of another warning. It  is important though that you don't put it on after a shower because the salt in it goes into the spoors because of the hot shower. The spoors then being open absorbs it much faster and and it stings. also keep your underwear on when spraying....

• Posted

I found the resolve!!  I use pure Magnesium oil and spray it on the muscle about 1 hour before bed and NO CRAMPS NO MORE!!!!! I went to the vitamin shop and the guy told me he gets them too and he uses the magnesium oil and it works, so I bought some and man what a relief. It has been a couple years now and I now don't have to use it as much. The muscle now gives me plenty of warning that it is going to cramp so I just spray some and rub it in and just like that the slight warning cramp goes away. I have not had to use it now for about a month, but have it on hand just in case of another warning. It  is important though that you don't put it on after a shower because the salt in it goes into the spoors because of the hot shower. The spoors then being open absorbs it much faster and and it stings. also keep your underwear on when spraying....

• Posted

• Posted

After reading your comment this morning I have added magnesium oil to my shopping list. Thank you so much for your recommendation DPJR. I too have a bad back (degenerative disc disease of my spine - 5 discs gone already) and its so hard getting out of bed at the best if times. I'm lucky to have a big strong farmer husband who gets me out of bed in a split second when the cramping starts lol. So with your advice hopefully I'll soon be able to relieve these awful cramps with a spray of magnesium oil, heat, massage and pressure. Good luck to everyone and please try not to opt for the prescribed drugs. Read what others are saying and give it a go. After all, what have you got to lose? apart from intense pain and sleepless nights in tears. Wishing you all health, happiness and pain free xxxxxxx

• Posted

I take the magnesium capsules and have been cramp free for about 6 months. So there has to be some truth to this. Maybe we finally found our miracle. I know one thing... I've had many pains throughout my life...( I live with neuropathy arthritis, fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease, have had several surgeries, and have even had a child!).. but that inner thigh cramp is the worst pain I've ever felt! Good luck to ya..let us know how it goes.

• Posted

I agree with you.  It's the worst pain ever!  Yes magneseum seems to play a huge factor in helping this horrible affliction!  

• Posted

I tried the prescription, Mirapex that my physician gave me last night. Not any problems, but why take this when I can use the Theraworx, massager and take Magnesium? Do not like taking pills.....so, I am going to stop taking the Mirapex .....but keep it handy just in case.  
    • Posted

I will purchase some magnesium oil, also. Right now I'm taking Cal/Mag/zyme every day and "Natural Calm" (magnesium citrate) before bed and that is working for me. It still feels borderline that I might get a cramp but so far it has only happened once and that was when I missed two days of the cal/mag. I have been on ppi's for many years and they found out it prevents absorption of magnesium and therefore a deficiency. The last time it did happen I had my husband apply pressure but that made it worse and by the way I had cramps in both legs at the same time when I was standing up out of bed, I tried massage with a back machine and not just where the cramp was but around my legs and that made it worse. The only thing that I could do was lay perfectly still until it finally went away.

• Edited

Yes, I wouldn't take the Mirapex unless there was some other underlying health issue that it was needed for.  And, I doubt there is because alot of us have this problem.  I've googled this problem til I am cross eyed and this problem is for real and it's really common too.  I'd stick with your massager and the Theraworx then.  I don't use a massager as long as the Theraworx is working.  I can now honestly say it has worked 100% of the time.  As you know its not hard to apply but there are some times when I wish I could skip the application to see if I could go one night without it.  BUT that is too horrifying because the cramps literally disable me and all I can do is fall to the floor and pray I were dead.  It scares the hell out of my little dog.  They are or were so bad that I lost all rationale and if someone were handy with a gun I would ask to be shot.  But that has passed now.  It's literally a lifesaver for me!

• Edited

I couldn't help but laugh at your comment when you said if there had been a gun handy you'd wish to be shot. I know it's not funny but I too have wished to die during this excruciating pain. I'm glad we have both found something that helps!!

• Edited

Right! I just can't think rationally when it is happening, the pain just makes you think of crazy things. I know you understand! And I have read where others say the same thing.

• Edited

Hi, Right now I am having "achie" feelings in my inner left leg. Not a full-blown cramp. I am going to get out the Theraworx!!  

• Posted

yes, that sounds like a good idea! I don't even get that feeling anymore because I put it on religiously every single day.:-)

• Posted

I also get sevre inner thigh spasams. It is mostly sudden and so painfull I cry. The more I move the tighter it gets. I have a tens unit always close by and hook my leg to it and it immediately attackes the cramp in a minute or less the cramp is gone but I leave the unit on for at least a half hour. I used to run extremely cold water over my legs and that would help but the tens unit really stops it. I have two units and many pads and cords. I’m never without it. Hope you find relief I really know how incredibly painful this is. 
    • Edited

What is tens units? I keep the heating pad plugged up next to me. Luckily I haven't had an episode lately thank God. The spasms are so unpredictable!

• Posted

Tens stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, it is a machine of a mild electrical current for pain relief, you can buy them from Boots, Amazon etc. I haven`t got one myself, I still resort to quinine (from old prescription but they are not out of date, yet.) That is the trouble...they are so unpredictable! I hadn`t had one for about two years until recently and had forgot about them but now I`m anxious about sleeping because I`ve been reminded how excruciating they aresad
    • Posted

If you live in the united states, theraworx works great too.  Just google it.  It works now 100% of the time for me!
    • Posted

Hi got my tens at Amazon they're not that expensive but you need the pads they are only good for a few uses and the cords wear out at least mine do  If you have a Chiropractor he can tell you how to use it and perhaps set it for you. It helps not only the cramps but sore muscles aching back knees elbows...but don't use on your chest or face. It sends electric stimuli to your muscles like Lil321 says. I get these cramps quite often and it causes me a lot of anxiety because of the pain but at least I know I can stop it quickly, it's never failed me....make sure you always have 9 volt batteries ( or whatever size) it goes through them quickly Amazons batteries are pretty cheap and it doesn't matter what battery, enigizer or amazon it goes through batteries quickly. I hope you feel better. 

• Posted

Do you know if it has any shellfish based ingredients? Sometimes these ingredients aren't listed so obviously. Also, I see grapefruit is an ingredient anyone on heart meds should ask their doctor it may not mix well....otherwise it looks like it would be something worth trying thanks. 

• Posted

I'm looking at the label right now, and there is no shellfish. It's basically magnesium sulfate. And then it's got some other stuff in it but no shellfish at all. I couldn't live without this, I'm on the auto-ship plan. And it works great!

• Posted

where do you place the Tens pads please...top and bottom of thigh muscle or on spine where the nerve causing the spasm is>- ? I get steroid injections at T4/5 where i have nerve impingement from narrowing of the exit of the spine where my nerve comes out. That gives me 2 or 3 months with no cramp whatsoever..but can only get 1 injection a year on the NHS. I also see a cranial osteopath who does his best to make space round the nerve so it doesnt get irritated and swollen. All these things help a lot . But last night 2 BAD cramps and I have a Tens - just dont know where to place the pads ( at the same time as screaming and Thrashing about on one leg trying not to fall!) I also find a wheat bag microwaved till hot and put on the muscle helps and so does a few drops of Cuprum from a herbalist, under the tongue....which often subdues the pain in a few minutes

• Posted

me again - my cramps are almost always at night, only ever one in the day

• Edited

This is me to a T. i actually just had both my inner thighs cramp up while i was sleeping. It wakes me up when they start trying to cramp up but by then its too late. I was in bad shape trying to climb outta bed with both legs rendered useless. Now they both feel bruised, which im sure in a sense they are.

• Posted

Yep, thats exactly how it goes with me too! Even the bruising. How long do yourspasms last?

• Edited

They seem to last around 5 minutes. May be longer. i have bot found a way to stretch this muscle when it cramps and i just have to wait it out while walking like a Sumo Wrestler through the house.

• Edited

Yes. 5 minutes feels like forever and I too have not found anyway to stretch out those muscles to make them stop. The pain is agony and I scream and cry. There have been some very helpful suggestions on this site and I have not had any cramps like that for a long time. What has worked for me is taking 400 mg of magnesium oxide every day. And all magnesium supplements are not created equal. The one that works is the Nature's Bounty brand. I ran out last year and bought a different brand that was also 400 mg and the cramps came back like before. I went back and bought the Nature's Bounty brand and the cramps stopped. Keeping feet and legs warm also helps a great deal. If I wear my slippers and my warm socks to bed in winter I don't wake up with cramps in my calves either. Another suggestion that was very helpful was not to get up quickly after sitting for a period of time and stretching the legs by straightening them and flexing the feet before standing up. I'm really glad I found this site. I thought I was the only one with this inner thigh cramping. My husband thought I was losing my mind the way I would cry and scream from the pain. I'm not usually a woosey when it comes to pain but it was so, so painful and for two days after my inner thighs felt like they were bruised. Thanks to everyone on here for your suggestions and support.

• Edited

My inner thigh muscle spasms are so severe they make me nauseous. i had one so bad tonight i thought i was going to faint. i couldnt really stand/walk because the muscle was so contracted. i applied heat, and managed to get in a semi-walking position, which was excruciating! i just got back from a run to a 24 hour store, and will be trying Therawork Spray tonight for the first time.

• Posted

Glad to hear you found something to control your spasms/ cramps. Everything mention i have used down to fentanyl patches. The cramp are so horrific in my inner thigh it wakes me up out my sleep its like i never had the pain patch on at all so i stop using them. Doctors have check me for blood clots and everything else they could think of and all results are negative. its hard to live like this.

• Edited

Have you considered yoga or physical therapy to work on the psoas muscle? These cramps and spasms are being caused by something. There has to be a solution. I loaded up today on gatorade drink, calm powder drink, theraworx foam and I made sure to stretch before i worked out today which I did strenuously. Been waiting all day for an attack. Gladly so far legs feel good. So something I did worked for today. Now just need to refine the regimen I guess. Hope you keep trying though as I am painfully aware of how bad they feel! It is awful.

• Edited

Good morning

Yes i have tried all these things with little to No resolution. Last night they were not that bad Thank God.

• Edited

OMG. I found a place where people understand what I go through. You just described my issue perfectly. I have to keep a heating pad plugged in near my bed at night. Heat is the only thing that helps. Unfortunately I have to deal with the pain til it heats up. But then I keep it between my legs for hours.

Bern to a chiropractor, no pinched nerves. Been to a Neurologist,said it sounded hip joint related. Apparently its not common cause no one seems yo know what causes it.

• Posted

Just woke up this. been having them for years now. Can not pin it down to any one specific thing.. very dibilitating . I practically scream, vomit, pass out. I hobble to a hot shower with the aid from my husband. its all ive come up with until reading this tonight. im going to get some spray tomorrow! i agree with therapist thinking it is hip related. No stretch helps. Its like something has your muscle tying it into a knot to kill you! Good

luck everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.