Open Myomectomy for Intramural Fibroid

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed last month with a 6cm degenerating intramural fibroid in the left fundus (top) of my uterus. While I'm happy to have a diagnosis and a fantastic reproductive endo to perform the open myomectomy, she did state that with the type and location it will be a "challenge," and although she's been doing this surgery for 17 years and only had to perform ONE hysterectomy (due to cancer), even the "single digit" chance of ending up with a hysterectomy (she said she'd only do this in the event she can't control the bleeding and it's life or death), I'm beyond anxious about it.

My surgery is scheduled for August 1st, and I'm trying to be calm and positive, but struggling. I would absolutely LOVE to hear similar fibroid/myomectomy stories!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey Michelle. I have a d and c/hysteroscopy on 8/5 and a robotic myomectomy on 8/19. I have way more fibroids than you do and one is the size of an orange that's in my wall. My surgeon at Johns Hopkins never flinched when she said she could go the minimally invasive route. They tell everyone that in case they can't control the bleeding that a hysterectomy may have to be done. My surgeon said she never had to do that. I've researched and it seems to be rare. She also talked about blood transfusions. Again both she and my anesthesiologist said this was rare. They even laughed about it.

It's normal to be worried. I shared my story with the ladies here because I've been struggling with anxiety. I've been crying almost everyday. However it seems as if the anticipation is the worst part. I've had friends who had the open myomectomy and they are fine now. They can also give you something to help with anxiety before the surgery.

• Posted

Wow, you've got a lot going on and upcoming! I'm very glad for you that you've got a fantastic surgical team, and I agree completely - the waiting is the hardest part!

I will be thinking of you, please keep me posted on how you're feeling. Here for you!

• Posted

Thanks. And I am here for you. When you are able please let me know how you are doing. I will do the same. You are in my thoughts!

Hugs

• Posted

HI

In 2003 I had a fibroid the size of a orange.I had a myomectomy and the results were great.My periods were lighter and the pain I used to suffer went.Every thing was fine until a year ago the bleeding and pain got really bad and I had a scan and it was found that I had around 25 fibroids,all shapes ans sizes.They gave me all sorts of pills and injections.Nothing helped so I saw my gyne and she kept pushing for me to have a hysterectomy.I refused and three weeks ago I had a fibroids embolisation.I am in pain but the bleeding has stopped.I was out of bed half a hour after surgery.I can understand why you feel anxious,I felt the same but you will feel so much better after the myomectomy.All the best.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing! I'm absolutely looking forward to feeling better afterwards. No more degeneratin fibroid pain, difficulty urinating, pain after sex...

I've only been anxious about the small chance of complications, as I'm absolutely NOT ready to part with my uterus!

I hope the embolization does the trick for you!

• Posted

Hi

My uterus is going nowhere either,I was lucky the surgeon who did it was really kind.I had pain urinating and it has stop.I also had hot flushes which have gone.Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Michelle. I know you're probably in surgery but I just wanted to check in with you and to let you know I'm thinking of you!

Hugs

Amber

• Posted

Thank you, Amber, (and everyone else!) I just saw this!

My surgery went really well, and so far recovery has been pretty easy! I actually felt better just about immediately post-op than I had in a very long time! Pain post-op wasn't bad at all, and at 20 days into my recovery I feel pretty great! A little sore, a little swollen, and moving carefully, but I was given the ok to drive and hike, and I've been carefully doing both of those things!

My reproductive endo removed the 6cm intramural fibroid and a few other tiny ones, checked for cysts and endometriosis (none!), and did a dye test through my tubes (all clear!). She really checked for everything to minimize my need for future surgeries!

I hope you're all getting on well! Xo

• Posted

Hey! Glad to hear that everything went really well. I had my robotic myomectomy on Friday. Saturday was really rough. The gas was unbelievable. Today I walked and was finally able to move my bowels. I wanted to do backflips afterwards. Lol! I too had no endometriosis, cysts, or polyps. Between the d and c hysteroscopy and my surgery on Friday the surgeon removed like 7 fibroids in all.

Praying that we all have a speedy recovery! Take care of yourself Michelle! Hugs

• Posted

So glad to hear you're doing well post-op! The gas pains were probably the worst part of the whole thing, and the first BM was terrifying but not bad at all once it happened.

I totally embarrassed myself this past Friday...a tiny part of my incision was really pink around the edges (mind you, I'm 4 weeks post-op today), and I had nausea and some abdominal pain. Since the pain was new, and with the other symptoms, I called for an appt to be checked to make sure I hadn't gotten an infection.

I got to my doc's and went to pee, found out I'd started my period! This was a huge victory for me, as for the past year I'd been on a high dose of progesterone all month and that was why I had periods. My doc had put me on Norethindrone Acetate (a progestin) for 4 weeks pre-op so I wouldn't end up with a period/bleeding during my surgery and to try to get a cyst I had to go away (it did).

With the progestin, "withdrawal bleeding" happens 2-3 days after you stop taking it, and that was right after my surgery. This means that my body actually ovulated and had a period on its own!!! (Insert happy uterus dance here)

The embarrassment part of the situation was that I had nothing but tampons with me, and I won't be given the ok to use those for 2 more weeks. I had to ask the nurse for a pad, and all they had were monstrous ones that I could have tied a string to and used as a kite! Plus, at 28 one would think I'd know my body a little better, haha.

But nope...I essentially made an appt because I started my period, and until now I had no idea what a "normal" period experience was. Normal bleeding! Next to no cramps!

I hope you continue to feel better and better, and may your post-op periods be "normal." smile

• Posted

I ahd a myomectomy and it did not result in hystorecromy. Mine was a challenge due to site of it and sze 13cm x 14cm at its biggest. I was luckily fine. Hope your sugery wrnt ok

• Posted

My surgery went really well, thank you! I can't believe how much better I felt almost immediately, and each day has been better and better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.