Medication problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

does any one take strontium after getting gut effects from alendronic acid?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I was prescribed strontium ranelate and I took it for about 2 years until my doctor stopped it because of my medical history  (cardiovascular risk).

Whilst I was on it my t score improved to the extent that I was no longer osteoporotic in my hips and my spine score improved  too - although still have osteoporosis there. I had NO side effects.  

I've been on  Proloa now for four years  and currently waiting results of a dexa scan after a very unpleasant (first ever) reaction to Prolia.

If t score has improved I (previously -4.9), I am hoping for a drug holiday.  

Hope all goes well with your medication, although don't forget the calcium with magnesium, vitamin K2, vitamin D3 and of course lots of strength and weight bearing exercises if you are able.

• Posted

Thanks Mary

i don't know what my bone density measurements are as my previous GP didn't tell me. I have just moved and changed GP and the new one does not yet have my records. I know I have osteoporosis in my spine and a recent CT as a follow up to the major surgery I had last year apparently showed a wedge fracture at L3. My new GP is proposing strontium as alendronic acid had major effects on my gut and I now have a stoma! I'm not sure about it as I read the list of side effects and it seems strontium can have much the same effects! I suppose I'll just have to see what happens! I do quite a bit of walking etc and I will take supplements as instructed! 

Thanks again

• Posted

You could look into strontium citrate which I believe should be an OTC supplement.  I'm not sure, but I suspect ranelate (which btw has not been approved everywhere) is drug manufacturer's way of making money and no better than citrate, possibly with more side effects.  It works by replacing calcium in the bones, and as it is a more dense mineral than calcium your bone density appears to improve.  Whether the bones are more fracture resistant I don't know.  I suppose some studies must have been done.  But I have heard that the best ways to avoid risk of fracture include the right kinds of exercise and balance training - like Nordic walking and tai chi.  

A study was done a few years ago which showed that a certain combination of nutrients also improved bone density measurably over a reasonable amount of time.  Google combination of micronutrients bone density.

• Posted

HI Sandra

im taking it  and don't have any problems.  I  try to get calcium from my diet and I take vitamin k2 and vitamin d. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.