Ruptured Achilles

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone else had similar experiances?.

I ruptured my Achilles on the 13 July 2016.Went straight to A&E and was diagnosed by a Dr simply by perfoming a Thompsen test.The nurse put a cast on gave me painkillers and said to see a Orthopedic in a weeks time.Unsure if it is Full or partial rupture.

Last week 20 July 2016 week 2 visit to the Orthopedic.I walked into his office sat down he asked what had happened, I told him how i injured myself,"Jumping landing than pop".His reply usual story,seen it many of times.He than tells me to go find a nurse to have another cast put on.I said i still have questions unanswered,he said we will talk more when i see you in the cast room. Well to tell you the truth that never happened. Are most Orthopedics like this,do they give much advise or options?.You end up feeling like just another number in there system.He has told the nurse non surgical route is best for me.Im p*ssed off beacause I'm very active and haven't had any options or PROPER advise presented to me about this tendon.I'm glad ive found this site i might get more info here.

So today 27 July 2016  I'm at week 3.I can wiggle my toes the sensation is a bit weird under my foot feels tingley,and the calve muscle has a few spasms now and then.Has anyone experienced this before?. I can't wait to walk again without crutches,hold or carry something in my hand or even playing sports again,yes i know it will be sometime before that happens. Just remembering little steps make great progress.

Hoping everyone else is recoveing well!.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

66yrs, partial rupture. Did internet research first so knew the probable route of conservative treatment. Consultant did Thompson and felt the gap in the tendon. I queried if the non-op route was best.. why no scans... Experience by touching was as good as a scan in this case, (simple rupture low down) and if it doesnt heal we can always operate. Open wound leaves possible infection route. Seemed ok for me.

No spasms, but the tingles lasted for up to a year.. nerve damage, but nearly 2 years down its gone away. Still left with a weakend calf muscle, but walking pretty much 100%. You really need to research the net first, so you can ask relevant questions.. they don't seem to offer much advise without the ask

• Posted

Hi Tim

Yes i will do more researching and hoping he will be prepared to answer my questions. Glad you have recovered well,it's unfortunate about the calf muscle,regular walking should help rebuild. Thanks for your reply!.

• Posted

I'm 30 years ,pretty quick healer hoping that it wont be up to 1 year before this funny sensation goes away.

• Posted

I think most ortho doctors are the same. Mine was that way. Hope you feel better. 
  • Posted

Hi Jess. I ruptured mine in a dance class on may 24 th. I didn't realise how serious it was! I've been 8 weeks in cast. Now in boot 2 wedges. Just removed one. Start physiotherapy next week. When the cast comes off its quite a shock as It's very weak.

I hired a wheelchair from the Red Cross so had a bit of freedom as the crutches are exhausting not been able to bear weight. 1 more week and I can weight bear! Patience has been a big learner for me. I've learnt more on this site with tips etc to get me through. Think the majority of us were very active in our sport which has been very frustrating as there's only so much TV you can watch, but hey we will get there in the end. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Anne

Glad your recovery is going well. I have a knee scooter which i use to get the mail and other things, it definately comes in handy. Most times I'm using my crutches ,just as well my upper body strength is good.I continue to train the upper body and the leg that is still functioning just to keep some sort of sanity,quite fustrating at times though especially when you try to get to get into a comfortable position and you feel a niggle.They say what is still functioning continue to workit.So that's where I'm at.

Does your heel or foot get quite hot in the cast as well?.

• Posted

I had an air boot from the start and it so nice to be able to carefully get out and wash my leg and have a scratch. But the rapid loss of calf muscle tone was the shocker for me. I did exercises .. stretching against elastic gently as soon as i got to partial weight bearing and rotating the foot lots and that seemed to help recovery, but 18months plus and i still can barely toe stand.
    • Posted

Start toe standing and tiptoe walking in tennis shoes- it's easier. I stood in front of my bed every day and put the weight on both (in shoes and out), until they got strong. Then I started doing one foot toe stands until those got stronger. Also work your calves on weight lifting machines and over a step to strengthen because that's why you can't do the toe stands yet- the calves need more work- they're totally related. It helped me when I learned that.

• Posted

Hi Jess. I had a cast the night I had the accident then called back the next morning after their meeting as wether to operate. The decision was taken to not as the risk of infection etc was too high. I went back into a cast but had to go back after 2 weeks as I was suffering with leg cramps and swelling. They suspected a blood clot which luckly it wasn't, just think the swelling and bruising had come out, from there I was fine and kept up the injections to week 8.

• Posted

I can't wait to give my leg a good wash and a good scratch too biggrin.I totally agree with what patti said, you will have to slowly rebuild that calve muscle up,weather it be tip toeing or pushing against a surface (wall) adding resistance.The more you do it you will notice a huge improvement,well heres hoping.I fully ruptured my ACL knee tendon 2 years ago,which was way more painfull than this injury.So i know the amount of work you put into it the greater the results.Good luck Tim.YOU CAN DO IT!.

• Posted

Fragmin. To stop blood clots as no weight bearing on foot. I did this every day for 8 weeks! seems to be a routine thing here. Reading on here treatment is so diverse depends on your consultant I suppose.
    • Posted

Yes a plate and 13 screws for a trimalleolar break on 2/16. I'm 5 months out and doing great.

• Posted

Oh noo. My foot was throbbing once they put me in cast #2, honestly thought the cast was too tight. I phoned a nurse who said it looks like you could have a blood clot,the hospital is 1 hour away from where i live, so i decided that i wouldn't go and just elevated my foot and took painkillers did the job lol.Very lucky could have been worse.I'd really like to see how you progess from week to week or on a daily basis.Good luck Anne.

• Posted

It was a long road and lots of work. I'd recommend doing lots of PT once you can. Many people warned me to keep up with it and some said they were sorry they didn't. I had lots of great advice from others on this site when I went through the tough days. It helped me tons!

• Posted

Hi Jess- I'm 56 and weight lifted for 30 yrs right before my ankle break to keep toned, rather than to build large muscle mass. My trainer, PT, and ortho doctor all said I couldn't work the "good" leg because of fear of malalignment, hip and knee problems, etc., even though I was in good shape and athletic before the break. They did all recommend I continue the upper body workouts though, and I think that really helped move the blood around my body and bring blood and oxygen to the ankle to heal it. Also, it helped to keep me sane during the long casting period. Just thought I'd throw that out there, since when I asked they all agreed to not let me work my "good" leg. All is good now, so seemed to work well for me. You may want to ask around. Given that, I know different doctors and different people & injuries have different recipes for success though and one recommendation is not necessarily good for all people. I did often cart myself around on my knee scooter though, so I kept that good leg moving, even if I didn't exercise it heavily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.