Olanzapine for GAD

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on olanzapine for 2 weeks now and although i felt a benefit after 3 days I slowly fell back and now I'm feeling worse. My psych has told me to split the meds to 5mg at night and 5mg in the morning. Im 2 days into the split and I feel flat and crying again uncontrollably. I feel lost and flat.

Anyone experiencing this similar symptoms and side effects that can reassure me?

Please no negative horror stories.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi my advice to you is to get off these meds. I was on them for 20 years and couldn't get off it until a few months ago. I seriously feel like I have my mind back which was lost for years. I tried several times to get off it but it wasn't until I read all the horrors stories from other people online that I became determined and did it finally and will never go back.

• Posted

Olanzapine gave me neuroleptic malignant syndrome, almost killed me. Went off against doctor advice and now much better. 
  • Posted

Try just taking 5mg once in the evening say 7PM and see how you get on.

id never take Olanzapine in the day it would just knock me out for a few hours.

• Posted

I felt "weird" at first. I'm on 2.5 mg. My brain was foggy. My dr said to give it more time. It's been about a week and a half. The foggyness has disappeared but now I have swollen hands and feet. I will tell you that my anxiety is long gone. If these are the only side effects I will have (includelibg wanting to eat all the time) then I will suffer the swelling. Anxiety is worse than swelling. And I've been on xanax for 10 years, 90 pills a month. I'm weaning off the xanax but do not need it at all. Just give it more time I think. It take 4-6 weeks to get acquainted from what I read/hear.

• Posted

Hi, i see it has been three months since you tried this med.  is it used as augmentation of anti depressant? My Psychiatrist has suggested I take it at same dose as you for my anxiety and depression. At present i have valium for the depression and want rid of it.  Do you think the 2.5 olanzapine has been helpful to you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.