Trying to get healthy, need some tips!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! I'm 17 and already fairly healthy. I played varsity sports the three previous years of high school and plan to continue with them. I'm 5'8-1/2" and roughly 170lbs (I know it sounds like a lot, but I'm pretty average looking. I do have a little bit if a tummy but it isn't a health concern). I do not have any health issues, but I want to really improve myself. I'm currently training to run longer distances, and I've only just realized how important diet is. My diet is pretty poor. I don't eat out a lot, but my family loves red meat, heavy cream, and big poetions. Most of the stuff I eathink is homemade but really, really bad for you. I've already tried convincing my parents to cut down/eat better with me. I've even offered to cook or shop. But they don't like to stick with it and they make fun of me for wanting to eat well. Do you have any tips to eating better (especially on how to control sugar cravings - it's hard to stick with it when people are telling you not to!)?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You are way ahead of the game by realizing early how important diet is. Please don't let your family discourage you. There's tons of readily available info on the internet for free and many books on diet if you want to buy them. Basically, cut back on the meat to 2/3 days a week. Chicken and fish are great alternatives. Avoid a lot of fat. Broiled anything is good as there's less fat. Eat as many vegetables as you can. Fresh or frozen. Avoid sauces on them. Try for balance: protein, veg and carb. Eat fresh (or frozen) fruit (not canned in syrup). When you crave sugar try fruit. If you are able to wean yourself rather than go cold turkey try that. For instance I am a one cookie person, but not everyone can handle the temptation. See what works best for you. It's really great that you are taking the initiative at 17. Don't give up. Your family may come around. If not, don't let their bad habits affect your life. By ridiculing you they are demonstrating their own ignorance on the subject. Take the high road, make your own breakfast and lunch for a start. Best of luck!

• Posted

Beverly has given you some great advice.  Some of the newer cookbooks are really great. You could ask at your public library and maybe get to try cookbooks out for free!  

There is something our family makes a lot of, now, and that is rice bowls.  Basically it's cooked rice (I get brown rice or the kind which is mixed with other types, including wild rice) topped with your choice of vegetables, like steamed, sauteed or roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrot, parsnip, onion, garlic, something green (like broccoli, kale or green beans) or anything else you fancy.  For protein, top with black, kidney or other beans, and/or grated cheese (the real thing, not processed cheese food) or plain yoghurt - or you could try some chunks of fresh poached fish, or chicken.  You can flavour this any way you like, all kinds of herbs, or curry powder or chili, whatever you like, and use any fresh or frozen veg you think will go well together.  

I try to have a "rainbow" on my plate and minimize the beige food.  

It's also a good idea to learn to like "fermented" foods.  This includes hard cheese, brie, yoghurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi and other things.  Introduce these things very slowly to yourself, and to your family, until your body is used to them and you've learned to like the flavour.

All the best!

• Posted

Beverly's advise is great aswell as Anhaga's

Kudos to you both

I am registerd blind and have mental health issues but in my younger days i was very fit and healthy ,played a lot of sports did martial arts for a long time aswell as weight training (power lifting)

I can only say if i had the attitude you do now , back then i would have been a lot better for it ,irrispective of anything else , POSITIVE mental attitude goes a long way .....minimise the dairy ...fizzy juice is a no no ....and unessential snacking .... Don't be so hard on yourself unless you have a specific goal ....and best of luck to you :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.