Pains in knee and foot, unexplained

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I haven't posted in this section of the patients forum before, but having turned 56, I find I am getting unexplained pains in my legs particularly in the mornings so that it is very painful to walk and I hobble to the bathroom usually.

One pain is in the knee joint and the other on the heel and travelling up the leg, I don't want to bother my doctor who has enough to see me about anyway, with other complaints so a lot on his plate so I thought I'd try some high strength glucosomine from Holland & Barrett.

On my 55th, around then I recall I had such bad pains in my arm that it was difficult to pick up my average size handbag but glucosomine cured it, remembering to get the high strength as thats the most effective, although more expensive I figure its worth it, but does anyone have any othter suggestions?

If after six weeks of the glucosomine I am still experiencing the pain, I will naturally ask my GP if I can have it X rayed but am aware that they do not always show up whatever is wrong, well, going by various tests I've had for other things and what my sister said about her recent knee pain.

Anyway, suggestions welcome, with best wishes.

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Fiona, it is awful to wake up in the morning, with severe pain in the knees and foot. I understand your problem. Have you checked this with your doctor? Coz, I think, this might probably be related to sciatica. Any pain in the lower spine, can affect one of the nerves, that feeds into the sciatic nerves, thereby causing muscle weakness, or numbness, tingling in the leg, ankle, foot or toes.

Sciatica is also a medical term used to describe leg pain, that originates from your low back and buttocks. It affects one leg travelling down the back of the thigh, past the knee, sometimes into the calf and foot.

Sleeping on a bad mattress can result in severe back pain, while waking up in the morning. It can even worsen the backaches. If it's the sciatica, you need to make sure that you lay down your body flat, with continuous support from the surface in a constant manner. If your mattress is too old and sinks, check for a new mattress for sciatica pain. There are many mattresses avaialble for sale for sciatica pain. Winkbeds mattress and Tuft and Nedle mattresses are top among them.

Winkbeds is a hybrid mattress, that comes with 5 different layers. The mattress provides great comfort, support and long term durability. The reviews of Winkbed mattresses are also pretty cool. They say that the mattress offers less motion transfer. The top layer is a blend of firm innerspring, with a soft memory foam top.

Tuft and Needle, on the other hand, is made of high quality polyurethane foam mattrss. It is specifically made in America and is rated among the top mattresses for sciatica pain, lower back pain and leg pain. The tuft and Needle mattress offers great pressure piont relief and spinal alignement.

• Posted

It could also be rheumatoid arthritis or fibromyalga?
    • Posted

Hi Jane, yes my doctor feels my weight may be responsible and doesn't seem to want to go into it any further than that, I am starting a body combat exercise class just once a week at my local gym but I feel these days people expect absolutely everyone to completely fit despite what medication they are on or what illnesses, mental or physical they suffer so realising I'm not going to get any sympathy or anything much done about it, I've opted for the exercises, and possibly a few changes to my diet, I'm enthusiastic basically but in some respects this is been very much under protest lol

• Posted

Apparently Nordic walking can use up to 30% more calories than ordinary walking.  smile🚶

• Posted

Podiatrists have been blaming my foot problems on weight for 20 years but have no answer when I was i had problems when i was 20 and 7 1/2 stone. Blaming weight is a very east default position for them to take, the easy answer. in my opinion
    • Posted

I couldn't agree more, personally I feel we're all under the gun in a way with modern thinking, it's gone too far, we're not all Olympics x

• Posted

I found many problems I had, back, knees, hips, improved when I strengthened my legs, much more so than orthotics for the feet.  I think many of my problems stem from OA in my spine and by guarding and strenthening the muscles which support the spine I'm much better off, including having happier feet! 

• Posted

Well its not that I'm not prepared to take the exercise on board, it's the level of regimentation that's expected of us all nowadays and often other glaringly obvious health issues are being overlooked

• Posted

I've done all that anhaga, basically the mechanics of my feet have always been bad but in my opinion statins have compounded the problem exponentially

• Posted

Exactly.  I have had exercises for my back far predating PMR.  Because of the threat of osteoporosis from taking pred I started walking more, and over the past year have taken up tai chi and Nordic walking.  Everything I do is designed to keep what little strength I have and also, hopefully, protect my bones as well.  I would love to be able to run, just short distances, but find the impact is hard on my back.  I also find it very arduous doing normal household chores like vacuuming.  When I saw a physotherapist for my sore shoulders before my PMR diagnosis the exercises, mostly using a stretchy band, left me in tears.  I wouldn't even attempt anything like that now.  I agree there should be more information available for the more disabled amongst us, things like water aerobics or seated yoga, other activities even the wheelchair-bound could attempt and benefit from.  The greatest health promoting activity is simply exercise, whatever works for the individual.  And the worse off one is to begin with, the most benefit one will attain from even the smallest effort.

• Posted

Haha, we should compare feet.  I am so ashamed of how ugly mine are, with huge bunions and the smaller toes on my right foot now getting all twisted with arthritis. Went to a class on reflexology, and would only let the instructor handle my feet.  I was astonished to see how strong and substantial other people's feet seemed to be, mine seemed fragile by comparison.  

• Posted

Agreed. I'm sorry you've had such awful pain. Basically I used to trampoline, swim and walk and workout in some form daily but when I developed the prolapsed bowel the symptoms were so appalling plus I had failed surgery I got in more and more of a rut or downward spiral but past few weeks I've pulled myself up by my bootlace, I've been getting back in touch with some of the music I used to listen to in my youth, quite thunderous progressive stuff as it happens and also have a new friend who emails me and my perspectives now seem a bit brighter, I think it goes in waves or circles, positive negative and so on etc

Good luck hun

• Posted

I wish the makers of comfortable supportive sneakers would come up with a more shoelike product, so I could be really comfortable when I walk, but not feel like a clumsy oaf when I arrive at my destination where everyone else seems to be well-heeled so to speak!
    • Posted

I completely agree with you Anhaga, in runners I feel very clumsy and nervous driving the car too. I just want a pair of light weight slimish comfortable soft shoes. i don't think that's asking too much. AND without velcro. I'm an adult I can manage laces and buckles smile

• Posted

We aren't alone in this.  There must be such a product somewhere.  rolleyes

• Posted

I'll let you know if I ever find anything Anhaga

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.