Iron Infusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys and gals,

I am new here and I am hoping for some advice. I have had a low blood count and low iron levels for 3 years now and I am unable to take iron in tablet or liquid form. I have been through gastronenterology, haematology and urology to try and find out what is causing my low iron but as yet to no avail.

My problem is I need iron and for 3 years now i have been battling with my GP and various consultants for an iron infusion, the only one i have ever managed to get was whilst I was in hospital with Urosepsis which was roughly a year ago now.

I had my bloods tested 3 weeks ago and my iron serum level was at 8 and the transferrin was at 11%. I had bloods taken 2 days ago and my serum level is now at 4 with the transferrin at 6%. The GP still will not agree to give me an iron infusion.

I have a urostomy and arthritis which I take 30/500 Co Codamol to help with pain and the only other regular medication is an anti depressant Sertraline.

My friend who is a nurse advised me that once anyones serum level drops to 7 then they would usually be brought in to hospital to receive an iron infusion. I have been told so many contradicting things by consultants and GPs that I am now at a stage that I really dont know what to do so any help or advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading! Leanne

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bex

so sorry you are going through this.

If you google sertraline you will see that one of the side effects is iron deficiency anemia.

my husband was given a drug after having a stent fitted and none of our doctors would believe this was causing his iron deficiency.  He became more and more ill until one doctor sent him to the hospital and they gave him an iron infusion.  A few weeks later he had to be sent for another and the doctor wrote to his surgeon asking about the drug he was on.  He was told to stop taking it and his hb levels started going up to near normal.

We just had to persevere in what we were telling the doctors until they would listen.

perhaps you can get your doc to give you something other than Sertraline and see if that makes any difference.

Could you go private to get infusion?

i do hope you can get this sorted, but try googling Sertraline side effect causing anemia and print it off to show your doc.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Isabel

Thank you so much for your reply. You are the first to point that out although the GP has already apparently checked I would bot be at all surprised if they had overlooked something so seemingly simple.

I will certainly be bringing that to their attention and will keep you informed!

Thanks again

• Posted

Is there any reason why you can/t buy yourself an iron suppement from a 

health shop.

• Posted

Hi jacqueline

Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately i cannot tolerate any oral supplements as they just come back up plus cause horrendous stomach pain so this is why i need a plan for managing this long term.

I have had every test available and i have now been diagnosed with "undiagnosed iron deficiency" and they wont investigate what is causing the deficiency anymore as haematology will not see me.

• Posted

Hi, I cannot take iron supplements as they give my bad tummy ache and constiption.

I have found one I can tolerate!  Maltofer.  You can buy it from Amazon or eBay.  

• Posted

Hi lizzie thats very useful and i might give that a go. I can't tolerate any oral iron supplements i just vomit it back up so unfortunately its either injections or infusions for me, although i live in northern ireland and ive been told injections are not available here on the nhs

Its all fun and games lol

• Posted

Hi Leanne, I have refactory anemia, I have iron infusions (Monofor) every 3 months which takes a couple of weeks to kick in, I take ferrous sulphate 3 times a day. So most of the time I feel so tired, I used to have blood transfusions which were great felt the benefit straight away. However I can't have anymore, you can only have a certain amount. I have had all the tests but still can't find out why I have this condition which is annoying however it will probably have it for the rest of my life. Just something I have to live with. Please go back to your doctor and ask to be seen by a heomatoliogist. Don't give up people don't realise how disabilitating it is. Take care. Jen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.