Amitriptyline and many side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all,

I'm 20 and struggling with PTSD after extensive surgery. However I'm taking Amitriptyline 10mg for migraine relief, it's my second time taking it and I've been on it for a week. But I've been experiencing side effects such as unexplained anxiety and panic attacks with severe anger?

Has anyone else been struggling with this, I feel like I'm going insane!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I never felt that going on amitriptyline, but I wonder if it's some of the initial side effects that will go away after a few weeks. I know that it's also used as an antidepressant, but your dosage is so low I'm not sure it would touch that.

Are you on any other meds with it?

• Posted

Hello 20 year old.

After having endured extensive surgery myself I was put on  Amitryptaline as a relaxant  to  ease the pain, 10mg is not very much , I think you need to be put on 20mg, it is a very good drug but, it takes about 3 weeks to get into the system.

Unfortunately Amitryptaline does indeed have its side effects but, if a GP could assist you with giving you DIAZAPAN 5mg it will help with the side effects, plus after Major Surgery Anaesthetic can stay inn your system & play havoc as well.

Please try to relax those Panic attacks by breathing with your Tummy instead of your chest & breathe in 3 slowly , hold it for 2  then breathe out slow on  3 again , rest your hands on your tummy & tell yourself to slow down & relax, if you make a habit of this everytime a panic attack starts  gradually the attacks will stop. I hope this helps you.

Jackie

Take Care

• Posted

its common to get aside effects from them.

just wait before you increase your dosage until 3 weeks..

its going to better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.