Tinea Versicolor

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 21 yo female with tons of pre existing insecurities. I have had Tinea Versicolor once before and tried to get rid of it. It eventually went away just in time for summer. After a weekend away, it came back worse than last time. I have tried selsun blue, tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide, ACV, Terrasil, anti fungal soap and now on to Miconizole. Been at it for about a month with little results. I have resorted to wearing long sleeves every day which is getting frustrating considering it's so hot. I am so embarrassed and feel absolutely disgusting all the time. Going out anywhere makes me uncomfortable and I just want to stay home. What are some other options I should try? Please help me

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You can try powdered ginger. It's worked the best for me. I just discovered it, and have only been using it sporadically (once every few days). I think that using it consistently every day might make it go away.

I take a very small amount of powdered ginger and just rub it gently over the area. A lot of it falls off, but a little stays on the skin, and the patches immediately start to get dry and flaky and improve. The kind I use is from Trader Joe's, but I imagine any source would work, as long as it's fresh.

I also put a little powdered ginger on my food once a day. You have to be careful, as it's spicy, and also in very large amounts it's a blood thinner, but i think 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon is good. It's a good anti-inflammatory.

I know other people have found that unrefined coconut oil helps. It's worked a little bit for me. ACV has also worked a little bit for me but never completely.

I eat kimchi (a live fermented food) with every meal, because I have IBS. I've found that when I stop eating that, the tinea versicolor gets darker. I think any fermented food or probiotics might have the same effect.

I've had it for a few years. I still find it embarassing sometimes, but I find that most people don't notice, and also a lot of people have skin conditions. If someone asks, I just say "It's a skin condition." It hasn't seemed to stop people from flirting with me. smile I find that if I don't worry about it too much, no one else notices.

• Posted

Hi Ju33, I'll just copy and paste this again to you. I had Tinea Vesicolor and I'm 26yrs old. I had it for a year! It Took such an emotional / physical toll on my well being and work and social life. What the skin doctor / doctors ain't telling you is that you may Not be so good with Dairy products. I had tinea really bad on my whole body and my neck area. Took all the pharmacy medication prescribed stuff, shampoos which did no good but only get worse.

Until I did my own research and discovered that most people who had it, it was because of dairy. While on medication I was still eating icecream everyday, pizza on weekends (I'm a naturally slim girl so somehow the dairy caught up to my skin and not my weight) As soon as I read about Dairy products affecting you:- Milk, Yoghurt, Cheese and some wheat, I had to cut down to give it a try! And I also started using Coconut oil and A bit of tea tree oil.

But in cutting down Dairy and certain foods I noticed a huge difference with my skin. I kept up eating healthy as possible, but still have cheat days with Icecream and cheese once in a while. It has now being a year and my skin is completely cleared off the tinea! I also use Coconut Oil for my daily moisturizer!

Do try checking the foods you eat and they would help a great deal! Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Rachee, I had Tinea Vesicolor and I'm 26yrs old. I had it for a year! It Took such an emotional / physical toll on my well being and work and social life. What the skin doctor / doctors ain't telling you is that you may Not be so good with Dairy products. I had tinea really bad on my whole body and my neck area. Took all the pharmacy medication prescribed stuff, shampoos which did no good but only get worse.

Until I did my own research and discovered that most people who had it, it was because of dairy. While on medication I was still eating icecream everyday, pizza on weekends (I'm a naturally slim girl so somehow the dairy caught up to my skin and not my weight) As soon as I read about Dairy products affecting you:- Milk, Yoghurt, Cheese and some wheat, I had to cut down to give it a try! And I also started using Coconut oil and A bit of tea tree oil.

But in cutting down Dairy and certain foods I noticed a huge difference with my skin. I kept up eating healthy as possible, but still have cheat days with Icecream and cheese once in a while. It has now being a year and my skin is completely cleared off the tinea! I also use Coconut Oil for my daily moisturizer!

Do try checking the foods you eat and they would help a great deal! Good luck!

• Posted

Hi rachee, I have found that sun and perspiring do not help this condition, so I try and keep as cool as possible and out of the sun most of the time. Wearing long sleeves in summer will only make it worse and the cream does help, oddly I have even found that hairspray cleared up some spots on my neck when I accidently sprayed them when I did my hair. It must be the alcohol in it smile Do hope you get some relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.