I stopped Gabapentin and had to start it back up due to nerve pain . when does the side effects g

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was taking it one 300mg a night .I had been on it for 6 months .One night I had a anxiety attack and got scared so I decided to stop.My doctor helped me get off of it .I started having withdraws but I hung in there until I started nerve burning which I didn't have in the beginning. So I had to go back on .This time 100mg at a time .I am up to 500mg a day but having a lot of side effects .How long will they last. I can't sleep hardly.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

What are you taking gabapentin for? If you are having anxiety attacks they can be caused by a vitamin B12 or D deficiency. If you haven't had these checked lately you might want to do this. Healthy people have levels in the upper half of the range.

• Posted

I have nerve damage in my arms and shoulders. I didn't know until I tried to stop it .my b12 is all the way at the top of the scale. My vitamin d is 30. I figured I must have messed up my nerves causing anxiety when I tried to stop it. I have only been taking the 500mg for 2 weeks .I worked up from 100mg once a day

• Posted

From what I've read over time, your doctor will fill you so full of this drug that you won't even remember your name. The doctor will keep increasing the dosage rather quickly. I've said no to this very potent drug to several doctors. This blog has been going for several years now. And enough people have had such bad effects from it. All I can deduct is that the drug company keeps pushing it on the medical profession and they just do what the drug sales person says, but if you say NO the doctor should stop it.

• Posted

My Doctor pushed it in the beginning now she says that 500mg is all I can take I have side effects will they go away
  • Posted

Always remember that you have the power to choose what goes inside your body. Nerve drugs are intended to make you more comfortable, taking them really not a matter of life or death like it is for some meds.

The newer related drug Lyrica is also pushed a lot. It's more expensive than Gabapentin (Neurontin) because it's under patent. In the US it is advertised lots on TV and women's magazines. Probably why it's so costly, have to pay for the marketing somehow. I tried it too, couldn't tell much difference between it and Gabapentin other than pills are a lot smaller as a targeted drug. I'm not on either anymore, hated the side effects.

• Posted

Somewhere I read a nickname for gabapentin (trade name Neurontin) is Morontin. Funny and appropriate, at least for me, I was a zombie on it.
    • Posted

I had quite but started having nerve pain .I was only on 300mg a night. Now that isn't enough to help me .Doctor says that she won't give me more than 500mg . I am having side effects will they go away

• Posted

I was not a zombie but...close! I felt nothing emotionally and I was in a constant brain fog. I already had brain fog but this drug exasperated it by 10.
    • Posted

Did your nerves burn in your body .Mine does in my arms and back .And yes I'm very anxious at times . Doctor wants me to go on zoloft. I guess she thinks that my nerves burning is my imagination.

• Posted

It is hard to say. Could you elaborate if you are comfertable...on the side effects that you are experiencing?
    • Posted

I'm not comfortable. I go to the bathroom a lot after I take it and very foggy . Very anxious about things .Only been on 500mg for 2 weeks. When I was on it before never had side effects . Didn't have enough nerve burning until I quit it. Would never went back on if hadn't

• Posted

My opinion...keep in mind that I am not a doctor. Listen to your body! My doctor had me on a dangerously high dose and I honestly felt like I was going to die. I take nothing at all now and have not for over a year. You have to do what you are comfortable with. Doctors do get kick backs for prescribing drugs.
    • Posted

My doctor will only give me 500 MG for all day . I would have stayed off of it but my nerves were burning .If there is something that would help with that I would try again .
    • Posted

All I can suggest is to do a lot of research. They are now testing me for Lyme disease.

So until we figure out what is my true diagnosis...I live with the pain and all that comes with it. I wish you the best and hope you can find something that helps you.

P.S Research!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.