Poor Colonoscopy prep??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my 6th colonoscopy yesterday. I completed the prep fully and my bowels were running clear. However, my doctor said I had a poor prep. I don't understand how...everything was coming out clear like water. Anhyone else have this experience? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds a bit strange. If you followed the instructions properly, which of course you would have as it was your 6th, then all should have been ok. Worth enquiring how this one was different? 
    • Posted

I agree it is strange. Not to get too graphic but my bowels were empting clear..like water. This colonoscopy was ordered b/c I had ovarian cancer and have been cleared from that but have developed drastic abdominal bloating which makes me wonder if there are issues higher up in the GI track. 
    • Posted

I'm sure you'll get some answers from this site and/or your GP. Keep us posted...

• Posted

I have read that a two stage prep is more useful for the prep.

That means splitting the full prep with the the first half given the day before, and then the second half given about six hours prior to the procedure time.  The second prep has been reported to be beneficial because the body continues to produce bile even when food intake has been halted, and that bile will end up in the colon, and it may result in the doctor saying that the "prep was poor."  I guess having that second prep much closer to the procedure time helps to clear the colon of such bile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.