Discontinuing Gabapentin

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been taking Gabapentin 300 mg for 2 weeks & having severe side effects. I want to get off it; but, after reading these comments am quite nervous about it. I called my doc who has yet to return my call, hoping he could tell me an easy way to d/c it. I finally called my pharmacist who told me I could just stop cold turkey. Well, that does not sound promising. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Please follow your instinct and do not go cold turkey. Your pharmacist shld know better to tell you to do that. Going cold turkey is dangerous, Must taper off at slow pace. Contact yor primary doctor immediately and explain what is happening and want off. If you again are told cold turkey, find another doctor. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for responding. My doc finally called me back this morning & confirmed what the pharmacist said, to just stop cold turkey. I don't know how to cut it down at it is a capsule. I think maybe just open it up & try to measure one half. Any suggestions?

• Posted

Hi Debby, Pls taper slowly. Open capsule and empty 1/4 contents. Replace top. Do this for one week. Then continue with 1/2 contents for another week. Final 1/4 for another one week. You shld be good with this. Good luck and pls let me know how you're doing.

• Posted

Thanks Jude! I appreciate your help more than you can know! I will do as you said!

• Posted

Happy to be of help Debby. Good luck....feel better!
  • Posted

After being on 900mg a day, i went cold turkey. Well, that was a huge mistake. It has left me with severe anxiety and panic. Something i had never suffered from beforehand. Please slowly taper off, you don't want your body to have a bad reaction. 

All the best!

• Posted

Thanks, Tim. However, I do not know how to taper off as the Gabapentin is in capsule form. Should I open the capsule & try to maybe half the contents?

• Posted

Hi Debby, yes I totally agree with your pharmacist.  300mg is very low dose and only taking it for 2 weeks is nothing.  Just cold turkey, you will find you will be fine and symptoms will go away slowly but much better than you think!
  • Posted

You should be fine tapering off if you've only been on it for 2 weeks. Split dosage in half for 3 days.

• Posted

I finally reached my pharmacist at the VA on Friday about the withdrawal and was told the same. It will take time and I could reduce it weekly. I came down on over one week now from 3200 per day to 1600 and today started 800. She then said I could do the same with the duloxetine so I reduced 40_20. My neuropathy seems worse in my hands and feet with major tingling and burning but I am determined to stick this out. Cold turkey for three days led me back to relieve the withdrawal but only half so I am managing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.