Severe back pain getting worse

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back pain getting worse than ever, gp referred to physio waited so long in agony i have seen an osteopath about 3 weeks ago now.

Pain had eased after seeing her, but now i am getting spasms and pain in my lower back. I also have scolosis too.

Thinking about seeing another gp to see if i can get a scan or xray to see what is happening.

Anyone having the same issues?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

I had my scoliosis in my upper back surgically corrected as a child. As I got older, I developed a compensatory curve in my tailbone, which caused debilitating pain.

In desperation I began practicing Bikram Yoga, which is a healing yoga practiced in a hot, humid room. When I began I was quite crippled and could not do very much. But my pain went away after the first few sessions, and it stays away as long as I practice at least once a week. I strongly recommend giving Bikram a try, it changed my life and I am now completely able-bodied.

• Posted

Mine is in my lower back and its painful to move sometimes.

I cant get on with a hot humid room as i am not keen on heat, makes me feel giddy.

• Posted

That's how my lower back was. I was spending all my time sitting on the couch with a heating pad, that's the only way I could alleviate the pain somewhat. Walking was difficult, as well as sleeping.

The hot room definitely takes some getting used to. But the teachers know that, they encourage you to sit down or lie down any time you need to, especially if you are feeling dizzy. They would also rather see you do a posture 1 millimeter the right way than to push yourself and be out of alignment. 

What kept me coming back was the realization, as I was lying in that hot room guzzling ice water and sweating like a pig, that my back felt almost instantly better. The heat, along with any kind of gentle stretching, just got my back muscles to relax and stop spasming, which was the source of my pain. I could barely do anything at first, I had to hang onto the back wall for any kind of balancing posture because I was so weak. But slowly but surely, my strength came back, my balance came back, and my back pain, so far 3.5 years later has yet to return.

• Posted

Sounds like it helps.

I see an osteopath for my muscle spasms which does help me.

The pain i am feeling now though feels deeper in my back like it is my spine now. It is a very strange feeling.

• Posted

Yes. I have acute kyphoscoliosis and I have been in physical therapy for almost 7 years, but my back is getting worse, it makes it difficult to breathe when I lie down. I am considering doing back surgery but am unsure. Help?
  • Posted

Yes. I have acute kyphoscoliosis and I have been in physical therapy for almost 7 years, but my back is getting worse, it makes it difficult to breathe when I lie down. I am considering doing back surgery but am unsure. Help?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.