sweating, headache with Hiatal Hernia

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a Hiatal Hernia and Gerds last year, endoscopy came back clear. Now almost immediately after eating the smallest amount of food, it seems to take forever to go down....and also I sweat heavily, and get headaches, my GI Dr says those two  issues are not due to the H.H. 

I would love to know if anyone else has experienced this with a Hiatal Hernia and Gerds ????

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Well, I have HH and bad gallbladder plus general digestion troubles right now and for the last 8 months. When it all started playing up, I had terrible migraine and vertigo etc. Doc said not related to these but never had them as constant and severe before. We are all different, that is the thing and we are complex. I also get hot flushes (not due to menopause) also cold spells and feel fluey but bloods are usually Ok. I do have low vit D but so do many in the UK due to lack of sun. Food does stick and sometimes hurts the stomach really badly. I am due to have gb removed some day (long waiting time here) and whether that will make any difference who knows, consultant thinks it may help, but you read many negatives on here.

Consultant said after Gb out they will look at some tests of the food going down the gullet if problem remains, have they suggested this to you?

It is a horrid condition, but drs don't seem to agree with patients on this.

Hope you feel better soon, take care.

• Posted

I agree doctors just don't think we can have these issues. I have a 3cm HH apparNtly too small to cause problems so why do I have them? I suffer breathing problems (lung tests normal) palpitations hot sweats ( heart normal) my eosophagus muscles have been stretched but made no differencr as I feel like I am being strangled. I feel extremely tired some days, pain in abdomen I also have IBS. I feel good is sitting around and sometimes gets stuck. Having a 24 HOUR tube up my nose and down my throat next month (joy) to see what's going on. So I agree HH can cause problems doctors just don't accept that though. Fingers crossed we all start feeling better eventually

• Posted

Hi Cynthia,

sorry you are having so many issues ...I do not have a GB problem

(as far as I know !) My Dr has not suggested a barium swallow, but I will not be surprised if he suggests it at a later date !  

I think perhaps we are subjected to too many tests , far too soon,  I have often wondered if the body will eventually heal itself, it we allow it the time,  and perhaps the medical  meddling just delays the healing process.......

FYI I know what you mean by the Nat Health in the UK, I am an ex patriot and somehow survived it all to cross over the pond to the US!.

"Small and often" seems to help me the most ..many small meals often , one day at a time !

Wishing every one gets relief and gets back to better health soon.  

• Posted

I just read your comment and was really curious if you ended up having surgery on your hiatal hernia? I am having surgery on February 8th on my hiatal hernia and GERD also I have been experiencing a lot of sweating that has gone on in the past year or more and I haven't figured out why my doctor did say that could play a part in it so I can't wait till I have the surgery let me know how your manometry test came through I had one also and I absolutely hated it

• Posted

Hi Sandra. I have a hiatus hernia which gave me a lot of trouble especially during the night. I stopped eating a large meal at night substituting fruit preferably soft, soup or mashed vegies (I am vegetarian). I also stopped eating between meals because it slows digestion and just have water and avoid bending over too soon after a meal. Also try to eat smaller meals as an overfull stomach pushes against the hiatus hernia. Hope this might help. PS slippery elm powder in a smoothie helps heartburn naturally without side effects. About 1 tablespoon. Regards Judy.
    • Posted

Hi Judith, yes, I am doing the same routine..definitely stopped the

milk and cookies at bedtime !

I had my 2nd annual endoscopy checkup a couple of weeks ago...I wasn't told much (very annoying Drs are so busy)

but there is no malignancy, and to come back for recheck in a couple of years. Small slow meals and PPI (20 mg a day) indefinitely

is the order of my life now, sometimes when I feel I am back to normal I have caved and indulged in a rich and hearty meal, and paid the price, I am a slow learner !..I am enjoying Kiwi which go down great, but have not tried slippery elm yet,

thanks for the tip.

Cheers. Sandra

• Posted

I just recently read your posts on your hiatal hernia and sweating I don't know how long ago you posted this but I too was just diagnosed with having hiatal hernia and I have been going through a lot of sweating for a year now and had no idea what was causing it. I kept thinking it was my medication that I was on and my doctors were not taking me serious and thought it was hot flashes and I knew that it wasn't. I kept getting blood work done to check for my thyroid which came back fine. I've also been experiencing headaches and I never got headaches before Oh the occasional headache here and there but I was waking up every morning with a headache but it only lasted for a little while and then went away and I knew that was not normal but again I did not know what was causing them. I have recently been reading up on Hiatal hernias online and have realized that it can cause sweating and headaches I did ask my surgeon if it could cause sweating and he said yes it is possible.

• Posted

Hi Sandra you maybe want to get your vitamin  d checked out. Sweating, migraines and just feeling generally unwell are all classic signs. I take vitamin d now and it took about 6 weeks to kick in properly. Go and get yourself checked out. Good luck

Regards Cathy

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Your doctor's talking nonsense, the amount of side effects from a hiatus hernia are numerous and hyperhidrosis is definitely one of them. I've got a hiatus hernia from loads of heavy lifting in my job, I used to throw washing machines and fridge freezers and TV's on my back and run up tenement buildings with them. I've definitely got hyperhidrosis as a result of my hernia and I'm really fit for an almost 58 year old man as I was a kickboxer for thirty years, I'm in the shower three times a day but as soon as I'm out I'm sweating again almost immediately, but it's either take three showers or smell of 😓 😰. There's a surgical procedure you can get called thoracic sympathetico but it all depends on how old you are or if your doctor thinks it'll benefit you and as your doctor is dismissing it's anything to do with your hernia I doubt he'll think you're deserving of said operation. The thing that annoys me is that most of the experts say that 85% of people with a hiatus hernia have little or no symptoms but I beg to differ, I've felt as if I'm going to die due to mine. Now I have a high pain threshold as I worked for two weeks with a fractured arm before I got it checked, and drove my self to the hospital when I did my anterior cruciate ligament and when I told the surgeon that I'd driven myself there he was astounded. They tell me I've got a small hiatus hernia well I'd hate to see it if I had a large one. If I was you I'd ask for a second opinion and I hope you get the answers you're looking for. God bless pal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.