Excessive sweating caused by Morphine.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hiya, I have been on slowly inreasing amounts of opioids for several years now. Almost as soon as I started, I began sweating almost constantly. Unfortunately it has been getting worse and worse and keeping my fan running 24/7 is becoming expensive. This winter I didn't have my heating on once and had every single one of my windows open and slept on top of my duvet. It is mostly my face and scalp that sweat during the day, along with my hands and feet, but whenever I do any sort of activity that involves moving or even doing the washing up I become drenched. 

It is really effective my social life and I can no longer shake people's hands or kiss them on the cheek because I am so embarrassed. I have tried extra strong antipersperants for hyperhydrosis with limited success, and because my skin is so sensitive I can't use it on my face or scalp or hands where I really need it. 

I wondered if you guys knew of anything I could do to help with this? My arm is genuinely aching tonght because i had to spend the whole day fanning myself. Which doesn't look tooooo weird in the summer. It does in the winter when I show up in shorts and a t-shirt with a fan!!! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Angel have you spoken to your doctor about this?
  • Posted

Hi Angel91

I never used to have this problem at all while I was addicted to Oxycontin. But now I'm on methadone to get off the Oxycontin it's a well known fact that Methadone causes you to sweat and I mean sweat. But I've not heard of any other opiates that cause it, just the methadone.Thats not to say that it is also a side effect of morphine also, I know all opiates effect different people in different ways!!

I know exactly what you mean though so you're not alone. I went to a bbq 3wks ago at a neighbours house when it was a really hot day & i told my partner I had to leave as it was getting really embarrassing so I made my excuses and went home.

It really is horrible & I've never known anything like it. Through an online methadone forum everyone has recommended 2 things to use. I haven't tried these yet so I cannot give you my word for them but the people on the forums swear by them & say they are like miracle cures & stopped them sweating instantly!!!???

The first one is called - Oxybutinin

The other is called - Vitadone

If I get around to trying either before you I'll let you know if they work, if you beat me to it could you let me know please?

All the best.

Good luck

Ritchie x

• Posted

Hi Angel sorry to hear of your problem.

It may well be the morphine or it may also be withdrawals you are suffering although unlikely.

I found with Fentanyl when I started to reduce it I got sweating due to the reduction but also sweating after I took a dose. Its worth keeping a record of when you take your morphine and when you sweat.

What dose are you on and how often do you take it ?

Having said all that and please do not take offence with the idea of withdrawals, One of the side effects of morphine or any opiate can be sweating. Methadone is probably the worst for sweating. It may be that you are more succeptable to this than most.

Vitadone ( a Multi vitamin) as recommended by Ritchie has some good reveiws and is worth trying.

You can get a special chemical (Aluminium Chloride ) from the doctor that you put on at night, wash off in the morning is supposed to last 7 days which might work . There are also anticholingerics that can be prescribed. Best to see your Dr to discuss.

Good Luck and hope you find a solution as its no fun with the sweats.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.