Scizotypal personality perhaps?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have PTSD, depression, social anxiety, OCD, repressed memories, issues with paranoia and may have borderline personality disorder. We're still trying to figure things out. My doc gave me lexapro and added xanax due panic attacks. later he added wellbutrin xl. I didn't feel much difference with the lexapro and Wellbutrin but my family did. even though the doctor prescribed the xanax once daily, I only took it when I was having one of those can't breath, gonna throw up and die type panic attacks. i also have trazadone for sleep. the problem is some days I didn't need them at all. other days I'd needed another dose about 6 hours later but was afraid to take more than one. It was awful. I would take trazadone and just sleep it off instead but I'd lose several hours of my day sleeping and sometimes trazadone just doesn't work. today I took wellbutrin xl, lexapro and xanax at once as soon as i woke up. I felt like a normal person, at least mentally, at home. I was more productive than usual. I was nearly normal other than some lingering anxiety there were moments of lows but overall it was unfamiliarly nice. Unfortunately it didn't last long. about 6 hours later I was coming down. I couldn't redose, especially on the wellbutrin 24 hour. I think i have something different than what my doc and therapist thinks. what can I do?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

A lot of these medications have a culmalative effect in the body. That means the more you take them, the more they build up in your body. It is very important you take the tablets as prescribed. They are meant to be taken daily, not just when you feel rubbish. By doing this, you should find that you don't 'come down' from them. It is also very important that you don't double dose. 

The fact that your family noticed an improvement on the tablets indicates that the doctor has got things right, but the only way to know for sure is to take the medicines exactly as prescribed. That way if it doesn't work you can move on. Your family are likely to notice a difference more quickly than you are, but if you give yourself a couple of months, say 8 weeks, on the meds you should notice a marked improvement.

Lexapro is an SSRI, for it to work properly, it needs to build up in your body over time. 

Wellbutrin also needs to build up, and should be taken once daily (as prescribed, usually taken in the mornings I believe)

Trazadone is another antidepressant, and again to feel the effects this must be taken daily. 

Xanax is a benzodiazepine. It is a sedative, so will help you sleep and will calm you down. For most people, these should not be taken long term due to risk of addiction. But again, this is something to discuss with your doctor since the benefits may outweigh the risks. 

You are on a mix of medicatons that should really help with your symptoms, but the only way you will ever know for sure is if you take them exactly as they are prescribed. 

I have to take around 32 tablets a day, spread over 6 'dosings'. I found it hard getting into a routine with them so I set alarms on my phone to remind me to take them. It is best to take them at the same time each day to help you get into a routine with them. If you live with your family or other people you cal always ask them to remind you if you don't want to set the alarms. But whatever you do... please take them as prescribed as you could do yourself damage otherwise. 

But I think you knew what we were going to say already, didn't you? Lol smile 

Good luck! Have fun! You are on some decent meds lol. 

• Posted

I didn't know. The Xanax I only took when needed because if I took it in the morning with the rest then I had nothing to save me from a panic attack should one happen layet in the day. I wish there was something that could last all day.

• Posted

I think you will find that the effects last longer once you have been taking them as prescribed for a while. Instead of saving the Xanax I would take it all as prescribed and see if the panic attacks lessen. If they don't after 6-8 weeks then you can go back to your doc and ask for an exra Xanax each day to take as needed. xxxx

• Posted

Oh and I forgot to mention the wellbutrin and lexapro were prescribed for morning. trazadone at night and xanax just plain daily but I noticed a difference taking wellbutrin, lexapro and xanax all at once.
  • Posted

you have a lot of labels jumble. I think that your best bet is to try not to cling onto the diagnosis given and do your best to cope with the meds making sure that you say something should you feel worse on them to the Dr so that they can correct any discrepancies.  I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

I just sort of feel like I'm being misdiagnosed. that they pit all these labels on me but perhaps I'm just one thing like schizotypal or something

• Posted

if you have a mental health problem then it is not always healthy to seek a proper diagnosis because psychology is so open that you may get several versions of an answer and end up more confused. Take my original advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.