Prednisone and Prilosec - both afect bone density!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking a 5 mg dose of prilosec for several yuears with on problems, to treat myelodysplasia and polymyalgia rheumatica. I just started meeting a new GP, and she strongly advised me to take Prilosec as I had a rishk of gastric problems. I mentioned that I was reluctant to take Prilo as I knwe it was a bone density problems. She responded that if I was worried about that I should consider weight-bearing exercises.

From reading some comments in the forum I note that many people use yogurt to relieve gastric symptoms. I've always had a yogurt every day. Do you think that keeps my gastric problems at bay?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Some people are more tolerant to uncoated pred than others and just take yogurt. Although PPIs are usually given to reduce stomach problems. I take coated pred which also solves the problem and do not take a PPI. 
  • Posted

I have taken coated and uncoated versions of pred and have never taken any "stomach protection". I had been on pred for 4 years and a repeat dexascan showed my bone density was exactly the same as it had been at the start. I eat yoghurt but not every day by any means.

Many people on the polymyalgia forum just use yoghurt - or take their pred in the middle of a meal. They've all been fine. I wouldn't take a PPI (the class of drugs Prilosec or omeprazole belongs to) anyway - I'd choose to use ranitidine (Zantac) which does the same for gastric acid protection in a different way and with far fewer side effects. 

• Posted

Hi there ....

She probably said the yogurt due to the Probiotics in it.   You might get more of them if you take an actual tablet.  I'm not sure just how much probiotics are in yogurt.   I hate to sound dumb, but what are those things you have?   I've never heard of them.    Thanks ....

arb

• Posted

Thanks to each of you who have responded to my query. I feel better knowing that none of you seedms to have had stomach issues. I shall check with my GP about coated pred - had not heard about it before. Barbara7596, you asked "what are those things you have". I assume you are referring to myelodysplasia. it's a blood abnormality which in some cases can lead to leukemia. I believe that it's, at least in some cases, an auto-immune problem, as is polymyalgia rheumatica. I had a hemotologist who consulted with an "authority" in "MSD", who advised that pred in a small dose could keep it from advancing. (I have had the dx for several years, and it seems to be stable : low red and white blood counts, but no symptoms otherwise). I looked MSD up in a website, seeking alternative treatment, and came up with a suggestion to use tumeric. Even though I take warfarin which seems to contra-indicate using turmeric, it has not affected my inr results, so I take it as well. Wish me luck!

Thanks to you and all the others eho have replied to my original query.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.